Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

after effects v.s. flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbel2205

Programmer
Jan 18, 2003
US
I am graphic designer just starting to program websites. Which program is better, flash or after effects, go live or dreamweaver? Any input would be helpful, thanks.

After Effects is not a web program. It is a motion graphics program intended for many applications including video special effects, and advanced motion titling. It however doesn't allow any kind of web html encoding etc. or butons which is the heart and soul of web site production. Flash will allow you to layout your site and make it jump with various animations and oher media you specify.

After effects however will generate a SWF that you could import into a FLASH site if a short intro movie if and when you need that but that technique is fairly advanced to make realistic and functional.
Good luck-

AE has nothing to do with the web. Although it can export Flash, using AE for the web is like using a rocket launcher to hunt squirrels. Dreamweaver is more industry standard from what Ive seen, but 90% of graphics are done with Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator (logos)... Photoshop's ImageReady is OK, but with time one can usually get used to size, resolution, color etc... without a "middle man" program to compress. Try out Dreamweaver and Flash... get to know Photoshop like your best buddy... bamn youre set.

fox6design: using AE for the web is like using a rocket launcher to hunt squirrels.

Sometimes you want a lot of squirrels and you don't have a lot of time... [lol]

I've seen some prety nice presentations online that were made using AE, and I've also seen short movies in film festivals that were made using Flash.

So, on one hand, some of the boundaries are a little blurry.

On the other tentacle, however, the smartest thing to do is to learn and understand the differences between function-sets of different applications. Your function or desired result should drive your use of tools, not the other way 'round.

So, if you want a compact interactive website that uses graphics in animated ways, Flash is the natural tool to use. If you want a presentation-only thing that will use cinematic type effects, you might use (among many other options) After Effects.

But, see the rocket launcher/squirrel thing, above. Using After Effects for building webby things is using such a sliver of its functionality!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back