Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After clear cmos routine pc wont start 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpyne

Technical User
Feb 24, 2002
US
I was doing a clearing cmoss and erase hdd debug routine I got from computerhope I ran into some problems here is what happened. After I went through the commands I turned off my pc and when I went to turn it back on it would come on for a couple of seconds and then turn off.I think my cmoss or something got so wiped out that my pc wont even start now and there was no related issues like this before this happened.I have a asus p4g8x deluxe mb it has a intel e7205 chipset I have 2 dimms 512mb'S each of crucial memory a p4 3.06ghz cpu a pny 980xgl video card.Any help I could get here would be great because I am in a jam.

cpyne

According to manual there is a jumper on this board to clear CMOS - have you tried this? (What does 'clearing cmoss and erase hdd debug routine' mean, btw)?

When you turned on the computer after resetting the BIOS what happened did you see any writing on the screen or just a cursor blinking, or nothing?

I was doing something similar and I got a message for "checksum error - BIOS reset to default". Then I couldn't get past that point. The Keyboard was not plugged in and that is why I could not get past that point. After plugging it in I could advance past that point.

Yah what kind of things were you doing. Clearing the CMOS I understand. Erasing the hard drive?

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I am not even getting to the screen my pc will have power for a few seconds and then tun back off.The routine I am talking about is a thing thay wipes the hdd and the cmos completely.I am now wondering if it wiped the bios clean too.If so what would I do tp fix that if it wont even start up.

cpyne

I would try clearing the CMOS the 'normal' way - via the jumper (or remove battery for at half an hour). Then see if it will boot (perhaps remove/disconnect as much hardware as possible?)

That did it I removed battery took out all the hardware and it started back up tkanks for the help it saved me big time on this.

cpyne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back