Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After changing the Administrator password, "unable to attach" shows up 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMT

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2001
US
Backups were working fine, however, after changing the administrator password (the account that Backup Exec services are using), two of our servers give an "unable to attach. Access is denied" message in the log file. Any help would be appreciated.

The user account you are using to get to those servers is the Admin account but the password is embedded and is the old one.

You therefore need to change it.

Always create a BEAdmin account with the right perms and use this for the BE services and for connecting to other servers. This stops the problem happening.

I always have to delete by backup schedule and recreate it with the new password. This is how BE changes the embedded password in the schedule. To use the new password, you have to stop all BE services, restart them, log in with the new password, create a new backup schedule, and delete the old one.

Or you could do what Zelandakh suggests.
James P. Cottingham

I always come here looking for tips when I can't get BackupExec to work and was really glad to see this one, which was very helpful and worked.

I was having the same problem, so I created a new account for BackupExec, stopped the services, then restarted the services, and changed the account to the new account and typed in the password. It works.

Thanks for the info. However, just to be sure I understand. You are stating to delete the "Job Definition"? Change the service account password, stop and restart the service, then log into Backup Exec with the new password, and create the new "Job Definition"?

Thanks to all. ZELANDAKH, I am now using a different account specifically created for Backups, and this has worked for all but a few. I have 2 servers in other domains, and am still getting the error "Unable to attach. Access is denied". Any suggestions? Thanks.

Are they local backup servers or are they enterprise backups that run across the servers?

Sorry Zelandakh, but I'm kind of new to this, and am unsure of what you mean. The 2 Servers in the other domains are (local) in the same room as the Backup Server, but each one of them are in 2 different domains than that of the Backup Server.

Apologies.

The 2 servers in question: Do they only backup data on their own disks or are they there to back up data on other servers?

Who is logged on to those servers? Is it a local user or a domain administrator?

I don't think I've done a good job in explaining my problem.
I'm actually trying to backup across domains. I only have 1 Backup Server, and I'm trying to backup x domain (the domain that the Backup Server is on, and now is fine), y domain (cannot attach error), and z domain (cannot attach error), all with the Backup Server in the x domain.

Aha. In that case you are probably not getting backup errors. It is almost certainly trust problems. You need to ensure trust are working first and that the backup user have admin rights in the other domains.

Zelandakh,
This took care of the problem. Trusts must have been broken somehow, and at sometime. Thanks very much for all your time.

Hello!

Got the same problem, and tried what you explained.

One qestion: i take the new bedomainadmin and take him for the services, but which password do i have to use there.
the old domain, the new domain or the PW of the beadmin?

But it doesn´t work.

Got two server, a pdc and a bdc. On the bdc is veritas 7.0 running, and it´s the one, who has got the tape drive.
Now i try to backup the pdc on the bdc´s tape.(same domain, changed passwords, before.)
Is there another solution.

You can change the Password (Backup Exec for Netware) with a little known Backup Exec Utility called BEJOBED.NLM (Backup Exec Job Editor)Run this from the Console.

s-)

If this problem is on NetWare i have some lovely instructons on what steps to take after changing the Admin passwords.
If you are interested let me know and I can e-mail them to you.

Well, I've got a backupexec installation, 8.5 Win NT/2k, on an NT box.

It has it's very own account with more access rights than I have (and I'm the net admin!).
I've changed the services to log in as this account.
It has it's own email account, added as exchange administrator etc.

However, it refuses to back up the exchange inboxes. I managed to get it to see the mailboxes but it won't access them.

any ideas?

If i leave the mailboxes out of it, it backs up nicely.

darnit, I miss Arcserve! :)

3229 - can you tell me the instructions on the steps you have taken for Netware. thanks.

And this new BE account definitely has container level permissions for Exchange? Check Exchange Admin, select the org, site and server in turn and check the properties include this new account.

Hello,
I did not change any account name/password, however I did upgrade from 8.5 to 8.6 of BE, and i'm getting the same "can not attach" error on two servers, while on others, I'm able to select??! Also, I have installed the NT Agents on all, but some say that it us unable to "initialize remote agent - performing standard backup" ??! Can anyone help me??
Thanks

Hello there,
Setup: WIN2K domain - 2 Exchange 5.5 SP4; 2 subnets, 2 Backup servers in each subnet each backup server remotely backs up one 1 Exchange server in the subnet where it resides.
Past: 1 Site in the Exchange organisation. Backing up remotely was no problem. The service account used, was the Administrator account.
Present: Created second site in the Exchange organisation and moved about half of the mailboxes into the new side. Only mailboxes of clients/employees were moved into the new site. The Administrator's mailbox remained in the old site - both sites are being used. The old site is fine, backing up mail by the backup server is still no problem - no configuration changes were made. For the new site I created a separate account/mailbox in order to attach to the mail server for backup purposes. It's not working. I have tried everything in this mail list so far but haven't had any success. Is there anybody out there who can help me?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back