Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After change IP into BCM, I'm not able to connect anymore??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2002
CA
For testing, we decide to change IP address of BCM... We already did that in the past and never had a problem. Now we can not access anymore the BCM... we try with the modem and the network card (cable x-over)... we can "ping" the address... that's all. We also "pull the plug" to reboot, but no success. It's look like any ports of communication working. Can we do something if we connect a screen and keyboard?? Or have you some ideas that we can verify... may be we are tired and pass just beside the answer whitout see it??

What's the software level of your BCM? You can connect to the serial port of the BCM and double check the IP address. I know you can PING it, but its worth checking it. Also, if there's another LAN card installed to the BCM. You can use that one, just use the default IP address which is 10.10.10.1.

Ok, the software is 2.5 and about the LAN, we have a LAN/WAN BCM... I tried with the serial port, but nothing happen... I would like to verify the pin out for the serial cable and also, can you confirm that I'm correct using a null modem? I use hyperterm to connect. I have also Procomm+... I tried 9600 8,N,1 (VT100), correct me if I,m wrong.

But the serial cable needs to be Null Modem because its two computers connecting to each other.

Procomm is a better program to use.

Kris

Update... First, thanks for your time, buddy. I try with the serial port (with cable null modem) using hyperterm and also procomm... nothing append! I think that the problem is more "deep"... it's look like, any communication port working?? There is one thing that we don't try yet. We have connect a screen and keyboard directly to see what happend during the system reboot, during few seconds, the system ask something (I don't remember) and it space bar. Now, I would like to know if somebody can tell me what happend if we do this.

Meridian-1

I believe you still need to load the driver for the monitor.

Using your cross over cable... If your using Win98 or Win2000, try using Telnet to get in... If you can ping it, you should be able use telnet to get in.... Start - Run - type in telnet...

it probably said the standard NT 4 startup message "To boot from last known good hardware config, press space".

Be advised, the BCM has a driver installed for the monitor, keyobard, and mouse that NULL out the ports. Its enough to make the event viewer not complain that there's no device, but blocks access to the BCM desktop.

If I recall, there are two serial ports, try each one at 9600 baud. If there's only one port, thats really wierd. I've had issues in the past with changing IP's causing it to not be accessible from the LAN. Is yours a Modem + LAN, LAN + LAN, or WAN + LAN config. If its LAN + LAN, try connecting to the other IP address. Also, keep in mind. Whatever IP's you changed it to, your laptop has to be in the same subnet as the BCM or else it won't know how to get to you. I've also had issues where I changed the IP, but forgot to change like the Gateway. It let me do it, but then I couldn't get into it. Also, you can run into problems if your two Network (LAN or WAN) interfaces are in the same subnet.

Why don't you post the IP settings that were there, and what you changed them to. That may help to figure out whats going on.

Kris

What's the IP address of the computer you are using?? And what did you change the BCM address to?? By default the video drivers are deleted when the BCM is loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back