Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adware loading from Tek-Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmr064

Technical User
Jun 6, 2003
US
I was just reviewing the Microsoft: Office thread and now I have an unwanted "searchbar" and advertising popping up.

Anyone else having this problem?

I don't think it's Tektips!

Many spam companies will load files into your startup somewhere that add thing at random intervals. So you "agree" to use their software (by having a computer apparently) and every week or 10 days the bar or software reappears. Delete it... a week to 10 days later it's back!

Couple Adaware with Spybot. Spybot will find things adaware doesn't, it's also free and will destroy the programs causing that little hiccup.

I *hate* spammers. :mad: They attacked my computer yesterday and I spent an hour cleaning it and updating with every security patch available. I also loaded Adaware, Spybot and McAfee.

Take that spammers!

Thanks, Corgano, It's about 10 days since my troubles started. A techie ran both Adaware and Spybot on my PC and cleaned up a bunch of stuff. I guess they weren't up-to-date because "it's back"!

It's back"

Yep, and they always will be.
There's hardly anybody who can keep up to date.
I have McAfee virus scan. It doesn't catch the spyware coming onto my machine, but when I do a scan it does. So, I just clean it up once in a while.

Anne Troy
VBA Coders, please help:

I knew a System Administrator who use to have contact with the spam circles and they have teams of programmers dedicated to finding new ways to get these things on to your computer.

Seriously.

Clusters of computers operating on a bank of a few hundred IPs sending spam so if one IP gets blocked... who cares?

Scary part: it works.

They get maybe a .5% hit/purchase rate. So 5,000 sales on 1,000,000 popups or items of spam mail with nothing but the setup cost of the computers. They honestly think the public wants these ads (because they do get sales) and so only try to reach a larger and larger "market".

*shiver*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back