Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advise regarding laptops 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyfour

Technical User
Feb 7, 2000
CA
Hi,

A friend of mine is thinking about buying a laptop. He's looking at the Dell Inspiron 8200. We'd really appreciate any recommendations/thoughts regarding what laptop to buy!

Thanks in advance.

I once owned a Dell Inspiron 3800 and I loved it! I used it at work and at home so I bought 2 external mice, power adapters and network card dongles (needed to connect PCMCIA network card to RJ45 connector). This allowed me to quickly and easily setup my laptop at work and home.

I don't like either the touchpad or eraserhead mouse options on the laptop, thus the external mice.

Things move on so fast that a recommendation now may not necessarilly be what I would advise next week.
Always best to read reviews first, many magazines will carry out "back to back" shoot outs with the latest products and award them with a star rating, a editors choice award!! go for one of these and you won't go far wrong, they have the advantage of having all the main contenders together all at once so direct comparisons can be made on price/performance/build quality and features.
The "which" type magazines usually are the best.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Martin,

When you talk about magazines, do you mean like cnet and zdnet?

Anything but Compaq. Too many problems to mention, not the least of which is their internal battery charging circuits frying, so that you end up running off AC only. This is particularly true of 1200/1600/1900 model systems. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Personally I have always liked both Dell and IBM think pads.
Both have there own issues but over all they have been soild profromers for the company I work for. With laptops i personally stay away from the odd brand types, it pays to pay a bit more and i normally get the service contracts also as replacing parts can be quite expensive (just had a quote on 2 dell latitude pcs 500 for a new lcd, 300 more a new motherboard and 200 each for a tech, luckly for me i will not be paying for the mb and service call as one is covered by warrenty, the other well you cant cover klutzyness.

Personally I would stay away from the Dells, they have an attractive price but I am always concerned by the fact that they seem to be constantly breaking down. I have worked with many

I seem to like Dell laptops. I haven't had any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back