Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advise on Exchange 2003 Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeeMan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2004
US
We recently had a situation where our our priv.edb became corrupt. It was well over 50GB. So, running a consistency check etc took a long long time. We use NTBACKUP to do hot backups and it turns out that the backup was inconsistent too. Not good. Not sure why we didn't do a dial tone but nonetheless, my question is more around how can I check the consistency of my privs and find out their state BEFORE I run into problems.

I'm thinking that the eseutil /g option will do that for me. My question is that if I run this and the report is not favorable, will I be forced to repair it at that instance or can I continue to use it until I have a more extended period of time to repair?

We have multiple sites and I want to know the state of my priv's now in general.

By the way, should there have been anything in the logs to indicate there were problems?

I'm a little baffled as to how NTBACKUP would allow me to backup an inconsistent database but I'm sure there is an explanation.

I realize that these are fairly basis issues but any help is appreciated.

will I be forced to repair it at that instance or can I continue to use it until I have a more extended period of time to repair?

You are playing with fire my friend!
MAKE the time, if it crashes on you later today, you will be in more trouble than you wish.

As for NTbackup, it is good cheap alternative, but to use that on a 50 GB store is, again, playing with fire.
Get yourself a decent backup like Veritas, ArcServe etc.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I appreciate the advise. Given that its 50GB or more, the time to repair it may be 8 or more hours. What if I discover that it is corrupt during business hours? Wouldn't it be better to wait until later that day or some non-business time to do the repair?

Later that day is an acceptable risk, that is what I meant. But do not postpone it any day longer. During business hours is never a godd idea, you will have people nagging all day, but if you postpone any longer it may well happen for real during business day.

If you want to make really sure, you could already do a 2step Exmerge (first step only) during working hours, at least you will have that part.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back