Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advise on Allowing Annonymous Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VB400

Programmer
Sep 8, 1999
US

We're having a problem with IIS 3.0 running ASP pages . When a user within our domain tries to access any ASP pages, they're forced to provide a user id and password (all users except administrators). They get message 401.3

After doing a bit of research, it looks like IIS creates a user id IUSR_workstation that is used when Allow Annonymous Access is checked. Unfortunately, this id is created as a member of Guest which doesn't have much access to anything which means that the users still can't access the ASP pages (althought they can access HTML pages). Almost all of our users do not have administrator rights so they're automatically prompted to provide the id and password.

How do we resolve this issue? What do most people do?

My thought is to change the annonymous user from IUSR_workstation to Administrator so that all users can access the site. I know it will work but it *feels* dangerous >:):O>

By the way, this is strictly an Intranet site -- no one outside the organization can get to it (well, we hope anyway!)

Thanks in Advance! Tarek

Yuo need to put "IUSR_yourdomain" in a group that has at least read permission to the NT directory that contains the ASP page. You might want to create a new group for this purpose.

Troy
San Francisco

Troy,

- Do you mean "IUSR_yourdomain" or "IUSR_workstation"?
- Do you mean add "IUSR_xxx" to Administrator group?
- Also, the IIS directory structure is c:\InetPub\ Which level do I modify?

Thanks! Tarek

Troy,

I changed the IUSR_workstation to belong to the administrator group and that seemed to do the job. I'm wondering though if there are side effects of doing this!

Thanks for your help! Tarek

Adding "IUSR_yourdomain" to the Administrator group is VERY dangerous. Its like giving all visitors Administrator access to your intranet server. To solve the asp problem, you should configure the server to let the guest user ( "|USR_yourdomain" ) have execute permission to the directory in which your asp files are saved. If the directory is already given access for execute permission, make another group with permission to execute files in the web directory and add "|USR_yourdomain" in that group. Once again, NEVER give Administrator access to "USR_yourdomain".

DigitZero,

Can you be a bit clearer on whether I should or shouldn't use Administrator rights? Just kidding :)

I will immediately change the security for IUSR and look into creating a new group. I will report my progress when I'm done (or stuck).

Thanks Tarek

I'm trying to set up a database for my website where users can write to it, using Access 2000. I am using a DSN-less connection and have tested my scripts using PWS and everything works fine. My problem begins when I try to run the same scripts to my database on an NT SBS server. I get the error message:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e09'
Cannot update. Database or object is read-only

I am testing these scripts on the company's NT server before publishing on a host's NT server. The IT Manager has checked that I have read/write permissions and we even got the database to update at one point, though how and why is anyone's guess as it doesn't work now!

Could someone please clarify for me what I need to do to publish an Access database on the web so that any user can update it (I am putting a forum on my website). Do I need to use RDS and if so, where can I find a good idiot's guide; or do I need to be doing something else? Help!

Thanks in advance

P.S. Please do not get too technical with explanations - I'm confused enough!!!

fdjghdsf

You need to start a new thread so that other people can see your question. Tarek

Help Please!

I am new at all this technical stuff and have no experience with IIS. How can I be sure whether or not a particular ISP can provide what I need/want.

I have been shopping around and the process is going slower than I expected. I don't plan to accept credit card transactions(yet) over the internet, and I am dirt poor so I'm trying to keep the cost down.

My primary goal is to gain experience in client server technologies, networking, programming, and internetworking concepts.

It would be alot simpler to enroll in MCSE A+ training or
something similar, but I cannot afford it. I am open to any and all suggestions.

How can I speed up this process of choosing an ISP that will give me a decent level of service, allowing me to establish the experience I need(cold fusion, perl, unix etc.), without getting ripped off or going broke?

Josey,

I'm not sure exactly what you want but try
they may be able to give you the service that you require and its FREE! I believe it was mentioned in one of the forums before.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back