Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADVISE: Exch5.5 and ANTI-SPAM Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Segfault666

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
CA
does anyone know of any good anti-spam software for Exchange 5.5? I would LOVE something spamassassin based, but I will settle with something else. Who is the industry leader in this technology? I will be testing the Trend Solution over the course of the week but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thx
- irs

We have just installed SurfControl and it on its default settings it has immediately cut the spam by 75%

We've been using NemX for about 6 months and it's been great. I think they have a trial version available on their website.

If you want something spamassassin based, check out Xwall. It is fairly cheap, does not need to be installed on your exchange server. (better if installed on a relay server anyway) Is licensed by server, not by client connecting to server. Has logic based weighting filters.

Hope this helps,
Dana

Has anyone tested the Trend Anti-Spam Product (eManager)?

I was debating of simply bringing up a OpenBSD internal relay server with spamassasin.

I have tried emanager with exch 5.5, but it lacks some key functionality that will only be available in newer versions for exch 2000 but not 5.5. I have had an in depth disccussion with Trends engineers about the insurmountable issues with the version for 5.5.

(the issue was that you cound not create exceptions to the product based rules, only user based rules) This made the product basically useless for our needs.

If the new exch 2000 version is anything like the 5.5 version, it is easy to use, but I do not believe it has logic based weighting filters. But with the ability to create exception rules that is not in the 5.5 version, it should be a very usable product.

Dana

To understand correctly, eManager for 5.5 does not have server wide customizable rules, only client customizable rules?

I'm still leaning towards a BSD box with SA .. hah.

Yes, eManager has server based rules.

We have been testing spamassissin on Linux, but there are still some bugs to be careful about that could cause mail loss (ouch!)

There is supposed to be a new version either just out, or about to come out that should address the process crash issues. Have not looked at it yet.

Dana

SA v2.50 is out, just recently. I will wait until Theo release OpenBSD v3.3 which is stopping development for a release.

I installed XWall, I like it already, small - simple and yet powerful. Thanks Dana!

Yes! Concise code is a plus in my book.
So many email scanning products seem to bog down the server.

The only thing that is bothering me right now is that if you tell it to redirect all spam to a specific mailbox for review, it rewrites the header instead of forwarding and you lose the information on the original recipient of the spam.

Do you see a way around this?
I may have missed it.
Dana

We are using an outside company (Big Fish) who filters our mail and sends all Spam to a specified account we created spam@mycompany.com. Works great and we don't have to worry about new versions and learning curve on new software. Of course there is a fee and it changes on how much e-mail you get. Then nice thing about this is they also check for viruses.

Mailkey is a possible option for individual users, but may not be a useful, applicable choice for the corporate environment.

I think you can buy the middleware to run in a corporate environment. I'm sure I read it somewhere but i could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back