Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice required on buying a Printer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteL

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2005
GB
I need to buy a printer for my partners business. We will need to produce, letter heads etc but also colour brochures of a professional standard - these will need to be borderless - should I buy a laser or injet - is laser more professional - can you recommend any particular products?

Many thanks

It all depends on the amount of printing that you do. If it is substantial, then DO NOT go inkjet. If it is a page here and there, then you might be better off with an inkjet, all though I don't like recommending those,as they tend to be junk. If you are doing a lot of printing, then I would recommend the Xerox 8500 or 8550, a solid ink machine. You have far less consumables, and the initial cost is cheaper, so the cost of ownership is less, and they print beautifully!

Have a nice day today, and a better day tomorrow!!!

Thanks very much for the reply - I will be doing a lot of printing so I guess the Xerox is the answer. What is the difference between the two models and do they do borderless printing and duplex printing?

Many thanks

The 8500 does not print in duplex mode. There is a print margin on all paper of 5mm or about .2".

I recently got an 8550 to replace my laser and 2 ink jet printers. It can be really fast if printing letter size from the paper drawers but it is much slower when printing from the manual feed opening or if printing with legal paper. When printing it does makes a fair amount of noise.

My only problem is in printing the color blue if I'm using Pagemaker, but that seems to be within that program only.

However, there is a maintenance kit that comes with the printer that is rated for 10,000 pages. I have a total of about 2000 pages printed and the printer is telling me that I only have about 35% remaining on the maintenance kit. If you print at economy it counts as one page for letter size paper. Standard=two pages, enhanced=3 pages and photo=4 pages. I will be getting the 30,000 page maintenance kit next time around.

I like the solid ink printers but if you are printing letter heads the solid ink printer would NOT work very well. You can NOT run prints from a solid ink printer through a laser printer with out having problems. I would recomend the 6300 or 6350 only for that reason. If you are printing a heavy coverage on your brochures the solid ink would be the way to go. It just depends on what your needs and desires are.

The 8550 can duplex.

Glad to be of help. I hope you are pleased with its performance.

i believe it is possible to spec up any xerox printer to duplex, we use a couple of 8500 here with duplex. always been good printers, had everything from 840 to 8500

Yes, I believe you are right. They all have the capability to do it, but it all depends on your configuration card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back