Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Port MGMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igore65

MIS
Mar 27, 2007
CH
Is there a way to block usage of USB ports? Can on econtrol what is allow and not allowed so users can plug in a USB Keyboard but not a external HD or Memory stick? To what level of granularity can this be controlled?

Igore65,
If you want to block all USB ports, you could disable them in the bios and then add a USB to PS\2 connector for the keyboard and mouse.

I need a more granular solution. I have devices that only have USB for the Keyboard and mouse, so I cannot universally block them via Bios, already thought of that, but not an option here.. :-(
Some users need the option of USB Memory stick, or occational external drives, but would like to be able to control it a little...

This is granular...and there are other versions...physical locks for USB ports. Now, what is to keep someone from plugging a hub into the port that the keyboard is connected to I do not know, but just about any security measure can be defeated. Here's a software solution:

There are others, look for Endpoint solutions or Google "disallow USB ports" or "block USB devices".

Certainly you are not the first to have this issue. We have a member whose manager locks up the six programming PCs in an iron box so nobody can copy/steal code! [smile] True!

Tony

You can indeed do what you ask, but it's dependent on your OS.

If you're using windows 2000, it fairly easy to do, but it either works for everyone, or does not work for everyone.

With Windows XP it's a little easier, you can set it to disable write access for normal users, with write access for administrators, etc.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

GFI EndPointSecurity is an application that will give you the granularity of specific port blocking, etc. that you're looking for.

# Media players, including iPods, Creative Zen and others
# USB drives, CompactFlash, memory cards, CDs, floppies & other portable storage devices
# PDAs, BlackBerry handhelds, mobile phone and similar communication devices
# Network cards, laptops and other network connections.

Price Price
25 computers ESEC25 $ 625 250 computers ESEC250 $ 2500
50 computers ESEC50 $ 925 500 computers ESEC500 $ 3750
100 computers ESEC100 $ 1500 More than 500 computers ESEC500+ Contact sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back