Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on Installation of Cisco700 Series for ISDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

offy

MIS
Dec 9, 1999
GB
I have been asked by a friend to create LAN internet access and mail in his office.<br><br>He only has 1 x NT 4.0 server<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5x win95 machines<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10 base T<br>I was advised that a cisco 700 series would be my best bet for this job.(is this true?)<br><br>I have good NT Knowledge and 95 knowledge but need some advice on this router.<br><br>Can anyone explain to me any main points I should look out for that would make life easy and simple to install this router or is there any good instructions on the web I could go to.<br><br>I'm very new to routers I understand there purpose but have never had the chance to setup one from scratch.<br><br>I thought it would be a good opportunity to gain some knowledge.<br><br>Thanks in advance<br><br>Mark Offord

Mark,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;From what I have read that router is used for ISDN.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just curious with an environment of that size, I usually set up clients with DSL. You usually get the router from the company (675) for free.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would check to see if DSL is available in the area.&nbsp;&nbsp;Cheaper and Faster<br><br>Jason

The 700 series Router is&nbsp;&nbsp;for ISDN . The fast setup for the 700 is great to work with . The information you need is the ISP #'s username , password&nbsp;&nbsp;, Spids ( isdn #'s) and<br>the gateway like&nbsp;&nbsp;(&nbsp;&nbsp;192.168.1.1 ) . The setup is self explainatory . The only other thing&nbsp;&nbsp;you might consider is to nail up one channel for your email .&nbsp;&nbsp;( Set Link 1 PE ON ) . The second option as indicated in the other responce would be to use DSL. This would give a direct connection to the DSLAM around 1.5 per sec. Depending on your provider .&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I hope this helps .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back