Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on GlobalKnowledge Classes please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy

MIS
Aug 3, 1999
US
Hi, Great Forum here I have certainly learned alot. My question if I may ask is: I have inherited the PBX room here at the hospital and My back ground in in Network infrastructure and PC hardware. I have been to Dalllas for the Merdian 1 fam class and the basic admin class. The moeny is ther for 2 more classes this year. My background in telephony is almost non exsistant. Prioor to December of 2002 I did not even know what a DID or a DN or a TN was. What we use here is 2 opt 11c's (0ff site) an option 81c here and Merlmail. I am looking for advice on what other classes that would most benefit me right now. such as ACD's or I&M or something along those lines.WE do not have mat or otm but plan on buynig OTM in January of 04. I can get by with most terminal programming however I lack in CLS knowledge. Usually when building a new 2000 or 500 I print an existing one and build from there. I need to know features better. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

I would get mermail, and system admin classes. Then you can go latter for more advanced classes if needed. I am surprised a company is spending that kind of money for training. That is Great!!

Good Luck!!

doesn't matter what you take. If the money is there now get into any class. Companies are quick to slash training funds first if things get tight.

Take Meridian Mail and Installation and Maintenance, and sign up for them now. I was scheduled to go to Symposium Training with Advanced scripting and when the budget crunch came, they pulled those classed first.

John

0200c or FAM is the overal familiarization class then
0300c for large systems database administration.

If you are going to be responsible for hardware maintenance, 0263c is a 2week hands on course which covers the option 61c - 81c (Great Class!). If you can install the 81c, opt 11 will be very easy to pick up from that.

I would recommend these as foundation and then applications such as mer-mail or call-pilot or OTM to follow

Thanks PBX geek but I have already taken the 200c and the 300c. I am now looking to build on this foundation. OTM is not used at our hospital yet. I have it budgeted for next year, January to be exact. part of the purchase is training on it so OTM is done also.I 'm jsut looking for the most logical class next to take. maybe mermail or ACD ? or I&M or something. I necer heard of a PBX before december of 2002 and now I am in the middle of a 150,00 sq ft expansion with 300 new DIDs a new IPE around 200 phone moves and 150 new 2000 and 500 sets. talk about jumping in feet first! I am dying here!!! Anyone care to help out?

I am in a similar boat. I've learned a lot by doing, but literally knew nothing before classes. We have MAT so I took classes in that and then decided it would be smart to get the database class. It was a good move because I do a lot of the programming at the terminal. Enough about me! I think the Meridian Mail System Admin class was a good one to have, especially if you are responsible or will be for voice trees. Good luck!

--George / San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back