Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on file server setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkirros

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
We're a non-profit with a Windows AD network with a single DC. The DC machine is now also the primary fileserver. We need to add a server to act as primary file server to get the data files off of the DC. I've been considering a NAS box, but after reading some things about them I'm concerned that file access might be pretty slow, and many of them don't seem to play well with AD. It's crucial that I be able to set permissions on folders and individual files, and that the files be accessible to users logged onto the domain. And, of course, being a non-profit, cost is a primary consideration. Any ideas about whether a NAS server is the way to go, or if we'd be better off looking at a low-end Dell server, for instance? If there are NAS servers that might work, can anybody recommend specific brands? Thanks.

How much data have you got and how are you going to need for the future - this will effect the decision, if you are only talking of a few hundred GB then a single server may do, TB and you could get away with a server with a Disk box attached...etc....

What's the main reason for getting the files off the AD box?

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Total storage is at about 100 GB, expeecting this to go to 300-500 GB over the next year or so. I've got two main reasons for wanting the storage off the AD machine. One is that the hard drive keeps filling up, and I have to keep removing files from it. This could be solved by putting a new hard drive or drives into that box, but I'd also like to remove the strain of being a file server from that machine so it can concentrate on being a DC (I know I'm anthropomorphizing there, but that's what happens when you work with computers too long).

DL380 (HP) 2 x 72GB (Mirrored for OS) up to 4 x 300GB drives (RAID 5) will give you aroung 900GB of storage.. or a similar sized Dell server (PE1900, 2900 or 2950).

The above would work OK, processors and memory can be upgraded...

Paul

"I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that do not work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back