Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

advice on deploying VB exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

micky500970

Programmer
Jul 9, 2004
GB
Hi,

I need advice on how to deploy my VB program. I am using VB6 and Access.

Initially i was thinking of running the exe from the local computer and only the MDB file resides on the server but then thought it would take more time to roll out fixes and updates.

The other idea is to run the exe from a network share. this would make it easier for me to apply updates and fixes.

My concerns are:

will it cause a problem if several users run the same exe file at the same time from the same location?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Deploy the EXE and the MDB file to the server.
Run the setup package (excluding the EXE) on the user's machines, and setup a shortcut to the EXE.

In effect this means that each user is running an instance on the client machine (ie not running on the server), and to update your application you can simply roll out a new EXE to the server. Of course if you add new functionality you may need to roll out a new setup package to the users' machines.

I've produced and supported this type of approach with up to 50 users without incident.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back