Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice on creating Invoice/Returns Statements for someone new to GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiyan

Programmer
Oct 15, 2004
GB
Hi All,

I wonder if someone would have the time to point me in the direction of some useful information. I'm fairly new to GP (and a financial illiterate to tell the truth), and whilst I've worked out most of what I've needed to know, I'm a bit stuck on how to proceed.

Quite simply, I have created a number of invoices and returns, along with custom reports of my own to display the data. This = happy boss.

I have now however been asked to create a "Statement" in GP that will effectively summarise all of said invoices and returns for a given customer, and this is where I've come a little stuck.
I'm looking at Sales --> Routines --> Statements, which uses the RM Statement Long Form report; however this Statement option doesn't look to do what I'm looking for, with no table references to invoicing tables and seemingly no way to add them :\

To summarise, is Sales --> Routines --> Statements the best option for me to use for what I've been tasked to do? I've searched Google but I've had no luck in finding advice, and my MS associate partner is on holiday so I can't get access to the Dynamics knowledgebase for suitable tips there, so therefore I'm a little stuck on how best to proceed.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can achieve this task?

Many Thanks,

J

What isn't the statement giving you? You can modify the reports in report writer, and this is where you can add other tables and fields to the statement.

Also be sure to apply the returns to the invoices, and run aging and maybe reconcile receivables.

Hi Barbola,

Thanks for your response. I think ultimately my problem is that, in Report Writer, I cannot seem to add invoice tables to my modified version of RM Statement Long Form. They just don't appear to be available, and I was wondering whether it was because it's a modified version rather than a standalone report?

I've been advised to install something called Dexterity, and this will allow me to add any of the tables to the report. This is not something I'm familiar with, but doesn't anyone have any experience of it?

Thanks,

J

You can use other reporting tools such as SQL Reporting Services, and I think alot of users on here use Crystal Reports.

You can also create new relationships between tables in GP Report Writer.

Jaiyan,

Dexterity is the language that was used to build GP. While I've never used it, I'm told it's pretty challenging to use. I don't see any need for it for creating reports; you would need it if you wanted to create new tables n the database, but not just to add existing tables/fields to a report.

For starters, what GP invoicing module are you using, SOP or Invoicing (odd question, I know). If you're not sure, you can tell by how you create an invoice - if you generate a "new Sales Transaction" then you're using SOP; if not, it's Invoicing.

I've written a variety of reports like this. If you want, email me at rschultz@100wattsolutions.com and I'll try to give you some pointers. The SOP tables can be a bit tricky.

Posted Invoices and Returns are in the SOP30200 and SOP30300 tables. They also leave a trail in the AR files, as RM-type: 1-Invoices or 8-Returns, but only in total, not in detail. (RM20101) You will be severly handicapped trying to adjust the canned AR statements.

I have written a lot of reports in Excel, Access, and Crystal to print custom invoices and custom statements, so if you could describe your reporting needs in greater detail, I might be able to give you more specific info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back