Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

advice on backing up files to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrobert

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2003
US
currently I have my users "My Documents" folder pointing to a mapped drive on a server (\\servername\folder\username\) that gets backed up everynight and all works well...but a few of my users have laptops and since the target of their "My Documents" is on a server folder drive and not on their hard drive then they cannot access it, unless they vpn in. But this isn't always an option and I don't want to require that they vpn in just to get a picture or something. So, I"m asking your advice on how I could remedy this problem. I have one idea, but I'd like to leave it open ended to you all. Thanks

Make the folder available off line.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

perfect, that's why i come here.

There is a feature in Windows called "Offline Folders". Look in group policy for it and also right click your shared folder when logged onto your server and look for "offline options".

Robert Bentley

SynergyworksHosting.co.uk
"reliable services at realistic prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back