Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

advice on a high end machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfbtr

Technical User
Jun 16, 2004
US
i have an exec user who uses plenty of devices and runs a few stock programs simultaneously, with dual monitors (25 inch), iPod, Palm, and all the things that pain me as the admin!

anyway, i need to purchase a high end machine that will handle all his devices and programs without any pause or noticeable delay. i'm wondering if dual processors and a couple gigs of RAM is what I'm looking for, or if i need something more specialized. i don't mind overkill, as i really don't want this headache any longer and am willing to pay for it.

most important: fast and very responsive, and able to add devices on a drunken whim!

thanks in advance.

wfbtr
plug and play and seemless to the user is vital!
Well we are talking as good as it gets for a desktop but nobody can gaurantee flawless operation, just that you will have the best available at this time.

Also it is very important that other components are of the same high quality, RAM, Motherboard and PSU particularly.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

thanks paparazi-
good point about the other components. i assume dell's components are a calibur i can count on.

i guess i'm at the point of deciding if the technology is tested enough to deliver it to the most high profile/demanding person in the entire company.

wfbtr
I suggest plenty of testing before you hand it over, new technology can sometimes be fickle, driver and bios updates always advisable.
Lastly Dell do have a certain amount of custom options, use addon's to achieve the best specs, ask about better memory and the newest SATA hard drives with command queing NCQ, I'm sure they won't mind you spending more money.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

well since i have no time for testing, i'm pushing for a dual processor machine. maybe i'll get a dual core soon to test out in my spare time, if there is such a thing.
thanks for all the responses. i learned some new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back