Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skar

MIS
Mar 21, 2001
GB
Hello all,

I have a Cisco 800 series (803) ISDN router. Just want to know if it's worth upgrading the IOS? It's running 12.0(5)T. I'm still very new to Cisco and IOS but I am working towards my CCNA. :)
One of the reasons I want to upgrade is so I can use SSH to connect to the router instead of telnet.
Another question is... if I am to upgrade then where do I get the latest image from?? I've looked at cisco.com but it looks like I need to be a CCIE or have a cisco contract to download IOS images. Or is it just me?? :)

TIA

Yes, you need a Smartnet contract with Cisco to download images.

Just a reminder, don't forget to chcek the amount of flash memory (show flash command), whether it will be able to hold new IOS image. Peter Mesjar
CCNA, A+ certified
pmesjar@centrum.sk

Compare the features of the 2 IOS's.

Do you need the new features?

In my opinion if something works fine don't make any change! CCNA
System/Network Administrator

I have an 806 and I did an IOS upgrade to get the IP/Firewall version and spent the next two days trying to degug my NAT and ACL's. The IOS's had differnet syntax for NAT statements and confussed the h*!! out of me!! So unless you need a new feature, a security bug is found, or you're having problems with an older IOS I don't recommend an unneeded upgrade.

But since you stated you wanted to use SSH it maybe worth your time and effort, for me the Firewall "features" were not worth the trouble! SF18C
CCNA, MCSE, A+, N+ & HPCC

"Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back