Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice needed re RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronano

Technical User
Apr 19, 2011
ME
Actualy on my IBM desktop PC with CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz and 1024 MB ( 2x 512MB) Kingston DDR memory I have installed as OS -XP SP3.
I am looking to buy additional RAM - problem is where to find suitable memory.
As I mention above, on my PC I have two Kingston memory Type DDR (PC 3200), each one of 512 MB- totaly 1024 MB.
Supported frequncies are 133 MHz,166 MHz, 200 MHz
Speed 200 MHz
One of local PC parts seller told me they have Kingston memory of 512 MHz, but the speed is 400 MHz. He says that this memory will go well regrdless speed differnce - as I have two slots free, so in this way I will increase total memory to 2.048 MHz.
The price is 20 Euro each, but I am not sure bicouse of this speed difference - 200 MHz v. 400 MHz.
Interested to hear your opinion .

Since now got one offer for:
Gigabyte AGP N6200 512MB DDR2 - price abt 45 Euro.
What is your opinion, please.

Hi Ben,
At meantime found one Gigabyte Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128bit AGP, but price is really more than exaggerated - 70 Euro for a new one.
For sure this one has better performance then previous mentioned, but I am not secure about. two things:
1/ Can this card stay ( be mounted ) in my IBM housing re. it's dimensions
2/ What is power consumption ( wattage) of this Card- because if is very huge, then is better to forget all this operation and stay with this what I have.
Please let me know your opinion.

to answer your questions:

1. I would not know, as I do not know the layout of your case, but if the OLD card fitted then most likely the new one will also... from the description given so far, I would say so...

2. Idle: about 90W...
Full load: about 150W

remember, does not matter which card you will get in the end, before physically removing the old card, make sure that you UNINSTALL the old drivers first, then physically switch the cards, and install new drivers for your card...

if you do not, you may run into problems down the road, e.g. clashing drivers etc....

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back