Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice needed re RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronano

Technical User
Apr 19, 2011
ME
Actualy on my IBM desktop PC with CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz and 1024 MB ( 2x 512MB) Kingston DDR memory I have installed as OS -XP SP3.
I am looking to buy additional RAM - problem is where to find suitable memory.
As I mention above, on my PC I have two Kingston memory Type DDR (PC 3200), each one of 512 MB- totaly 1024 MB.
Supported frequncies are 133 MHz,166 MHz, 200 MHz
Speed 200 MHz
One of local PC parts seller told me they have Kingston memory of 512 MHz, but the speed is 400 MHz. He says that this memory will go well regrdless speed differnce - as I have two slots free, so in this way I will increase total memory to 2.048 MHz.
The price is 20 Euro each, but I am not sure bicouse of this speed difference - 200 MHz v. 400 MHz.
Interested to hear your opinion .

I always understood that you're memory should match. If you have faster sticks mixed with slower ones, the speed will be the slower speed. That was along time ago, though.

Another thing is that might make sense to buy a new machine. The prices are so low these days that they've started to become disposable.

Go to Crucial's website. Run the scanner to get your exact match.

Then see if they do it, otherwise Amazon / eBay.

Remember on 32bit OS Max RAM = 4gb (but you may not see all of this, see other threads)

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Thanks for advices.
My question concern to RAM speed, or more precise is this Kingston RAM of 512MB with speed of 400 MHz suitable to be mounted on my machine where now I have two Kingston RAM of 512MB, but with speed of 200 MHz.Repeat doing this I'll double my RAM.
Hope my Q is clear.Don't like to create technical problems and make my machine slower then is now.

400MHz RAM will normally be quite content to slow down to 200MHz. Why not ask the man in the shop if you can return it if it does not work?

I recommend that you run memtest86 after adding this RAM and before booting XP to check it works and avoid any issues with XP if the RAM fails.

You should see a fairly impressive speed up with 2GB of RAM.

If the speed is 400 mhz, than it is not DDR memory, but DDR2, which will not work. The fastest speed of DDR is 200 Mhz. But a lot of times it will be stated as 400 as speed, because it is Double Data Rate. Check out the chart on the wiki:
Now if the memory is DDR-400 (a,b or c) Then it will work, as it is still 200 Mhz max clock frequency. The easiest way to find out if it is compatible is to ask how many pins does the memory dimm have. If it has 184 pins, it will work, if it is 240,or 168 it will not work.

I have two Kingston memory Type DDR (PC 3200)
they are also known as DDR-400, and as mentioned is the fastest speed that DDR has to offer...

so all you need to do is find a matching pair (2x 512mb or 2x1024mb) sticks of DDR-400 (PC3200) that are GARANTEED to be in functioning order... also know this, due to the age of the tech and the scarcity of them, they are more expensive than newer RAM types (DDR2 and DDR3)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks a lot for assistance.
Allready start searching for 2x DDR-400(PC 3200) RAM of 1024 MB, as you advice me .

Since now found only 1 piece DDRAM Memory DDR 1GB 400MHz Transcend JM388D643A-5L- seller say this one is equal with DDR400 (PC3200).
If this is true, let me know please if this is workable for me, or as I think is better to search for 2 equal RAM memory of 1GB , not mix existing 2x512 -200MHz with a/m DDRAM.
Now I am not sure if DDRAM Memory DDR 1GB 400MHz what they offer is the same as DDR400(PC3200).
The price is 32 Euro.

Bronano, 32 € is a bit expensive, as the going rate of that RAM module on AMAZON.DE is only 23.62 € at present...

since I do not know where in Europe you may be situated at, I would suggest you look @ Amazon to see if you find the DDR-400 RAM there...

and since I do not know the exact model of your mainboard, I would just stick with either 2 x 512mb or 2 x 1024mb sticks. basically replacing the two sticks you have in there now, as XP runs great at 1 GB and hardly any improvement at 2 GB...

here the reference on Amazon Germany:

and here another reference also on Amazon Germany:

Ben

Thanks very much Ben.
As usual you are always disponible to help and assist.
Data for my Desktop PC;
Property Value
Manufacturer IBM
Product Name 814723U
Version ThinkCentre A50
Serial Number KCGD2BR
Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE
Infrared (IR) Supported No
DMI System UUID CCA76B2E-68A1302B-A43B95E8-3D7DF51D
UUID 2E6BA7CC-A168-2B30-A43B-95E83D7DF51D
Mainboard:
Property Value
Manufacturer Intel
Model D865GKD

North Bridge Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P Revision A2
South Bridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) Revision A2

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 478 mPGA

System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None
After Google search found for my IBM Model Think Centre and mainboard model D865GKD, suitable memory is:
IBM ThinkCentre A50p 8193 Memory
PC 3200
model 1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR 184-Pin DIMM Standard Non ECC
Now the problem remaun where to find it.
One othet thing confuse me additionaly - your statement that change of memory will not increase significantly my PC performance

Bronano,

simply put, the last link I posted, that RAM module will work in your machine...

now, about the performance, that really would depend on what you are doing with the PC... 1GB is pretty much the sweet spot for XP, now if you are running memory intensive apps, e.g. Virtual Machines, PhotoShop, etc. then the more RAM the better it gets... but if you are just doing everday apps, e.g. Office, surfing the net, etc. then you wont probably see any improvement at all...

Ben

Order 2 pcs DDRAM Memory DDR 1GB 400MHz Transcend JM388D643A-5L,
hope don't make wrong decision, will see.

I did a little testing using an XP virtual machine with virtualbox. I time from clicking START on virtual box to the virtual CPU going to 99% idle as reported my that virtual machines taskmanager. Free RAM is as reported by that virtual machines taskmanager after the CPU went to idle.

256MB RAM - time to boot - 1 min 38 seconds - free RAM 50MB
512MB RAM - time to boot - 1 min 5 seconds - free RAM 120MB
1024MBRAM - time to boot - 1 min 3 seconds - free RAM 480MB
2048MBRAM - time to boot - 1 min 6 seconds - free RAM 1412 MB

VERY crude measurements I know but indicative I feel. If however you run software that needs lots of RAM you will see a difference there. As a rule of thumb if free real RAM drops below 100MB then you will see a benefit.

So as mentioned earlier - more than 1024MB of RAM doesn't help XP inless you are running some very memory hungry application.

Thanks again for useful advices.
Besides XP SP3 Pro. I think to add Win 7 on this PC and this is the main reason why I am looking to reinforce htis configuration,
Now I am looking to find better Graphic Card then this one I have now:
Property Value
Display Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Video Processor GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Video memory size 64 MBytes
Adapter DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
BIOS String Version 4.18.20.44.16
BIOS Date 02/25/04
Display Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.6573
Driver Date 2004-08-02 18:03:00
Inf File Name oem6.inf
Inf Section nv4

I now at this time is very difficult to find AGP Graphic Carrds but I should try .Please let me know for my configuration which one will be the best.

Unless you are on a real tight budget, you will be better off saving your money and putting it towards a new machine. most onboard graphics cards are a lot more powerful than the old GF4 MX, and the cost of entry level components these days is almost the same price as trying to buy legacy parts!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Now is done what is done.
Dilemma to buy a new machine or not ,is no anymore in option.
I am looking to upgrade this one what I have as much as possible and for my everybody needs, with some little improvements IBM PC will be enough for me, since better days re finance arrives.
Maybe I am mistaken, but for my opinion this Graphic is very week
and thats why I am searching to replace it with better one.

Correct, in the assumption that the graphics hardware is indeed very weak...

look for an nVidia 7600+ AGP GFX-Card (the + stands for "or better"), they run about €60 (on Amazon), alternatively you could also look for a 6600GT or 6800GT (around €40), comparative ATI products are the HD2xxx lines...

a good place to find AGP hardware would be to peruse eBay...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back