Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice needed about large db with lousy indexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlkraft

Programmer
Dec 5, 2000
US
I have a vertical ap whose data I report on. Databases are written in Progress 9, OS is Unix.

I can get to this data easily with Crystal using ODBC.

In one table of 360,000+ records, the indexes are not conducive for reporting.

My options are:
1 Import to Access and reindex and use Crystal to report on.
2 Import to SQL server (have software and server, not yet trained on its use.)
3 Make a Crystal Query and index it to allow easy reporting.

Is it possible to index a Crystal Query? I tried using a query of this large db yesterday and all data was pulled up through long sequential searches.

Advice anyone?

I would Import to SQL server. In this way you can author up stored procedures and views that denormalize your Progress 9 schema to one that is tuned for report and OLAP development.

Steven Fowler

Thanks Steve,

I'll pursue the SQL option as I learn more about SQL.

Dave

SQL server is fairly easy to pick up - just like VB, it is easy to get bad at it. :)
However, it is a big step forward from Access. SP are the best way to get performance tuned Crystal Reports, and they are fairly easy to implement in SQL Server.
Good luck. Malcolm
Remember, if it wasn't for electricity, we'd be surfing the net by candlelight.

Hi
can u tell me how to connect crystal reports with Oracke DB on Unix, which odbc driver should I use ?

many thanks

I am in the same boat as you....its one of those sticky things about Progress that I don't like. I would add an index to the table(s) as you build the reports. It doesn't hurt anything if you know what you are doing, index-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back