Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice for Remote office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2004
Hello all,
I just started here at a new company here in London that has a remote office in the US. Currently they are a small office with 15 people, but growing to 20 people by years end. Here is the thing, all they currently have is a DSL connection out to the internet with no firewall (I know, I know), just a basic DSL modem/router. What I need to do is get them to be able to surf the internet, be firewalled and allow a VPN connection to our location here so they share our Active directory, gain access to files, etc. What I would like to know is what do you all think I should go for? Router w/ firewall Router + Firewall, Firewall, ASA device, ect....

Thanks in advance

How complicated will the network be? What kind of feature set do you want?

If it is only one subnet behind the device and you don't have complex routing, then an ASA/PIX will be fine. The 800 series routers will do that as well with the firewall option but allow for more complex topologies.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Its not going to be that complex. 2 Subnets in the network, xxx.xxx.2.xxx in london and xxx.xxx.3.xxx in the US. I was wondering what about the 1800 series?

Thanks

The pix/asa would be a perfect fit but the 1800 series is also a good choice if you get the security feature set. Very versatile. The ids feature set is not as robust as the pix software but you can do more with it.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back