Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice for an upcoming IT Professional 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AthlonPower

Technical User
Mar 25, 2004
US
I need advice, period. I'm going into my third year in undergrad for a B.A. in Information Managment Systems, I have my A+, working on my CCNA, have 2 internships under my belt, and have a great deal of knowledge in the IT field. My question is, what should I do over the next 2 years to make myself even more marketable? I really dont have a grip on programming yet, but should I? I only know a bit of VB.net and C++, and I haven't even come close to mastering it.

My resume looks great b/c I have experience in the field as well as one cert with another on the way. But should I possibly go for the MCSE before getting out of college? And if so, how much would it set me back? I'm pretty sure I can study for it, but I don't have a clue of how I would go about doing all this. HELP!!! Thanks

Where do you see yourself going? If you are wanting to be a programmer then go for MCAD, database admin MCDBA. I would have a look at where you want to work towards.

In a sense, I see myself being in the field of network administration and I really like working with hardware. One reason I want to get a grip on programming is so I can have the experience in case I change jobs/careers, and if b/c it also looks good on the resume to know a couple of languages.

In a nutshell, I see myself in networking and hardware consulting. From here, where shall I go?

If you can get the basics of C++ IMHO other languages seem easier. I would have a look through the .Net stuff but if networking is where you want to go there has been advice that i have seen which was get a few basic computers and set up your own network. Get the practical experience and try to get a company to pay for the MCSE. If you have got a bit f experience you will find yourself having an advantage over others.

Have a look at training site.Can get the price from there. Think they are expensive.

When I graduated I had a hard time finding a good job because I didn't have any relevant experience. I think that is the most important factor. If you can't get experience through a job you can always volunteer your time to various organizations in your area. As far as programming goes, scripting languages (like VBScript) are good to know for network administration and would probably be good on your resume. The value of certifications vary from employer to employer but experience is always highly regarded. Your A+ and CCNA definitely won't hurt and an MCSA/MCSE would also be good to get (if you can afford it).

My networking experience is relatively high compared to my peers. I've set up a network for a small newspaper company in my hometown, and i've set up a wireless pos system for my parents' store. So just a lil bit of small network admin, but nothing too deep. My real kicker is that my internship now is in networking and telecommunications. I'm doing a lot of entering data and some mapping, but it's experience under the belt.

So A+, CCNA, and MCSE would look great for an MIS major entering the job market? If you were an employer looking for a network associate, would you hire me with A+, MCSE, CCNA and a B.A. in MIS?

So A+, CCNA, and MCSE would look great for an MIS major entering the job market? If you were an employer looking for a network associate, would you hire me with A+, MCSE, CCNA and a B.A. in MIS?

A good manager looking to hire a good employee will look at the entire package, not just education. You have to posess a personality that fits in with the manager, the team, and the organization as a whole. The knowledge to do the current job, vision for the future, energy, and motivation are all key as well. In addition you have to fit into the company's budget now and in the future.

I'm not going to speak on the certification issue, that is a debate that will never end. Just remember it's not one thing alone that wins a job.

athlonpower,

well, here's my 2cents on the subject...
go for the experience. i agree with volunteering, helping out, ect. build and break your own network. learn to script with vb, perl. if you are aiming to admin window's servers, work with active directory and exchange. linux experience is good stuff. we build lots of stuff with linux 'cause it's free and runs well on old pc's. as for the mcse, well, the studies will expose you to a great amount of microsoft information, but depending on what size company you are attempting to hire into, it may work against you. we just filled an entry position with a fresh graduate w/internships and no certs vs. the people with certs. the interviews with the certified applicants left me thinking that they were too qualified for the entry level, but had NO real experience to back up a mid level position...kind of a gray area... anyway, a person i hired as entry level 2 yrs back (fresh grad, good brain, no certs) is now my network engineer and the company is paying for his cisco certs. and as an ex-programmer (but continue to develop utilities for the company all the time) i believe that you should attempt to learn to write some code. maybe not c++, but vb is rad and used all over the place and will allow you to develop useful apps to increase productivity and make your job (and others) easier. Access is another very useful tool for us utility programmers that don't need the full power of sql, ect. and you can do BIG programming with VBA and access (no wizards).

enough from me
best of luck
scottie

I agree with binkin... unless you just have several thousand dollars burning holes in your pockets...

If the latter, please let me be your teacher... we can work out the hourly rates later...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Good post Binkin...I liked your point about certs actually working against people...the irony of it all!

The reality is that companies usually hire you for your certification first and then your actual knowledge.

If you look at the job sites all are on about having this or the other and many 100 years of experience.

Personally I get students in for traineeships every 6 months (for 6 months). We are mainly doing network admin and some Crystal programming, plus admin of a most horrid DB.

I certainly do not look in particular at your Certs, but far more at your brain capacity. A certification wont tell me if you can actually do the job.

Yes, a very complicated situation for both applicant and employer.

I can only encourage to do get your certifications, but do not rely on them. If the employer asks for them in the job ad at least you have them, and are not immediatelly discarded.

If you need a job in London or traineeship, let me know. We have a position open [smile]

JR
As a wise man once said: To build the house you need the stone.
Back to the Basics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back