Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advertising Consulting Services in Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terpsfan

Programmer
Dec 8, 2000
US
Maybe I'm a lone wolf in the wilderness, but I find it tacky and tiresome when members go to great lengths to emphasize their consulting services in posts and replies to posts. It's not enough for these people to mention their consulting services in their profile, but they also feel obligated to do so in their posts as well. I have supported this site with my own money and see the value of this site. I have learned a great deal from others and helping others. I just hate to think that someone out there is trying to make a buck on their consulting services from this site.

There's two exremes:

-one, where no one gets to mention anything outside this particular site, ever, so we can concentrate purely on answering technical questions,

-two, where all technical questions are answered by "Well, if you hire me as a consultant, I'll fix your problem right up."

Tek-tips in general is much closer to "one" than it is to "two". If you really think someone in particular is over-pushing their consultancy business, i.e. advertising, then red-flag the post and claim that the person is advertising. But I haven't seen this happen, at least in this forum.

If you want to see how other groups have 'handled' this situation, you can do a Google Groups search for "Don Mellon" or "XMVP" in comp.databases.ms-access - you and him have a lot in common.

Pete
(who has no interest in becoming a consultant)

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

I must echo Pete's observation. I haven't seen any solicitation in here at all. This forum is very well monitored and I find most of the "consultants" to be pretty darn selfless.

It's very implicit advertising. Why not just post a reply with a signature of your name instead of the site pointing to your consulting service web site?

Every time I see a URL attached to a signature, I know it's usually a professional who knows what he/she is talking about. I invariably click on these links because these people post very useful code and tips on their own websites as well. I usually wind up bookmarking the links so I can check back occasionally. These links are very helpful, and hey, maybe somebody will make a buck after helping 400 people for free. It seems pretty descrete to me, why does it have to be a bad thing?

Jay

I'm not saying my opinion counts. But some of the most knowledgeable people in these forums do not post their web sites in their posts. I'm moving away from Access development anyway towards a .NET platform with SQL Server or MSDE. Microsoft hasn't enhanced the Jet engine much over the past 4 years (notice that versions 2000,2002 and 2003 still use Jet 4.0) and there are rumors that Microsoft will scrap Jet eventually.

If the signature linking really bothers you, contact management. Short of that, realize that most people don't have a problem with signature advertising, and so you'll just have to put up with it.

Pete
--
Fun link of the day: "How to write unmaintainable code"

Yes, I did contact the site owner about it. More than likely they won't do anything about it. Again I find it very tacky and self-aggrandizing.

The only times I've seen anything that struck me as blatant advertising has been in response to posts in which someone gives a brief description of the end result they want and then asks the forum for step by step instructions on how to achieve that goal. ala "My boss told me to build a database to keep track of everything! How do I do it?"

By the same token, I've seen many people in these forums spend unbelievable amounts of time with people like me who have gotten in over their heads and come to the forum looking for a hand - instead of a handout.

Whether or not Management will be able to take any action on this issue really can't be decided until the scope of the problem and its implications are fully understood.

That would involve researching a meaningful sample of posts, developing a quantitative evaluation matrix for rating each post in the sample and preparing a white paper detailing the investigation process and results.

I could get started on that immediately...for a fee.

John

Use what you have,
Learn what you can,
Create what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back