Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advantage of Photoshop to Illustrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindeye

Technical User
Mar 12, 2002
US
I think I prefer working in Illustrator, and then if I need to use filters bring it into PhotoShop. Is there some advantage that I don't know about? I see the advantage of working with a rastered image in Photoshop, but if you are starting from scratch it seems to make more sense to do it in Illustrator, and then if you need to use filters. Convert it to a PSD and bring it into PhotoShop. Any other opinions?

MindEye

That statement/question is just way to broad, mindeye. You use whatever software is suitable for the job. Why compare PS and AI? You may as well compare AI and MS Excel. Photoshop is designed for manipulating raster images. AI for vector. It's chalk and cheese.

You need to compare apples with apples.

I understand it is like comparing a mailbox to a fish(???), but they both happen to share one thing in common. They are both graphic programs with the ability to both use a tablet(Wacom) I was trying to determine which one would be better for this. If you read it seem like they push Adobe Photoshop as being a Painter-Like program that would suit trying to create artwork. If I am trying to create Illustrations for Architects, I wanted to use something that could emulate Watercolor and Marker techniques. It seems like I can do this in both Programs. The output seems to be consistently better in Illustrator(Vector). There are more filters and effects available, it seems for Photoshop. I find Photoshop not to be as much of a drawing tool as Illustrator. Maybe it is because I do not know Photoshop well enough. Anyway...that is how I compare apples to oranges. Anyone else??

mindeye

For architectural illustrations, Illustrator is probably the better choice for most of the work. There's nothing wrong with importing it into photoshop afterwards to add raster effects, but any vector information will be lost. That means that if you need to adjust a line, it won't be easy.

You can also combine both programs, and place photoshop elements in Illustrator files. For example, watercolors in photoshop look more natural than in Illustrator, so you could do a background in photoshop and place it behind an illustrator drawing. That way you'll have the best of both worlds. It depends on the effect you need.

If you are trying to create illustrations for architects, I am sure they will need them as vector files so they can be scaled to any size without loss of clarity, which you cannot do in Photoshop. There is no doubt you should use Illustrator in this situation.

But as dimoj has already pointed out, you use the tool that is most suitable for the job. You *may* be able to do it in Photoshop, like you can write a business letter in Excel, but it simply isn't the 'right' application.

As an architect, I can tell you that I've often used both programs in my work. Yes, Photoshop is more for manipulating images, where as Illustrator is more for presentations, but they both work.

I'm an illustrator, and I love what Illustrator can do as far as crisp, vector line-art is concerned. Used it for 10+ years and love it.

I would never think of it being very "painterly" however. Especially after I found some pre-sets in Photoshop...

Try this: open new Photoshop 7 document. Select the Brush tool. Select a color (not black or white). Then in the context-sensitive palette across the top, locate the brush icon at the far left, click the arrow next to it for the pull-down menu and select "Paintbrush Oval 45pixels Multiply"

Use your Wacom to start painting several overlapping strokes with that tool and see how it compares to Illustrator. I find it to be a *very* nice watercolor effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back