Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced Find 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mile0

Technical User
Sep 6, 2003
US
I need some help. I have Outlook 2000. I am very interested in reaching in and grabbing the "Advanced Find" feature and tearing it out with both hands leaving a bloody hole in this program.

Can anyone tell me how I might proceed with this important stress reducing fuction?

Thanks

Since you did not state what your actual problem is with it, it is impossible to suggest a solution.

There is no way to remove it. Just don't use it. You might consider upgrading to a new version and that might solve your unknown problem.

Thank you for writing back. I have calmed down a bit now.
I just couldn't get advanced find to find anything, even when I was looking right at the subject line of an item.

We are rebooting the exchange server this afternoon after work (Friday) and hopefully that will help. Outlook is complaining that it can't "open one or more attachments" on every email.

Advanced Find just doesn't seem real user friendly. Just what does "frequently used text fields" mean anyway. And searching for email messages by "from" doesn't seem to work with just a piece of the "from".

I find it quite frustrating. If there is some special nomenclature one is supposed to use why are not examples shown? It doesn't seem consistant.

Fortunately it is almost 5:00 p.m.

Quote: "...searching for email messages by "from" doesn't seem to work with just a piece of the "from"."

My advanced find works fine. In fact searching email by "from" doesn't even require an "advanced find", just a find. Maybe your Outlook needs to have a "detect and repair..." run on it.

Cheers.

You said Outlook was complaining that it couldn't open one or more attachments on every email. Inside Outlook go to tools, options, then select the security tab. There is a line in there that reads "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus." If the box beside it is checked, uncheck it then hit apply. I believe that will solve the problem with opening the attachments.

Thanks for the response.
Mikker those options are 'grayed out' on my machine. Insufficient privileges.
Lately McAffee has been emailing to me that it has found phishing emails and quarantined them.
A new feature which I assume has somehow gone awry.
C Meagan thanks for the tip about "find" yes it worked better than A.F. Your response is the old KISS (Keep It Simple Solution) Thanks again.

Curtiss

Mikker: Your instructions apply to OE not OL2K. there is no such checkbox in OL2K.

Cheers.

C Meagan: Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I wasn't aware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back