Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced Filtering Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosCreator

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2003
YU
Here's my directory structure

E:
|-USERDATA
|
|_HOMEFOLDER1
| |
| |- SUBDIR
| |*.exe
| |*.bak
| |*.mp3
|
|_HOMEFOLDER2
|
|*.exe
|*.bak
|*.mp3

Currently my understanding is I would have to write six expressions to exclude the above exe, mp3, and bak files from the two home folders.

FILE EXCLUDE e:\userdata\homefolder1\SUBDIR\*.exe
FILE EXCLUDE e:\userdata\homefolder1\SUBDIR\*.mp3
FILE EXCLUDE e:\userdata\homefolder1\SUBDIR\*.bak

FILE EXCLUDE e:\userdata\homefolder2\*.exe
FILE EXCLUDE e:\userdata\homefolder2\*.mp3
FILE EXCLUDE e:\userdata\homefolder2\*.bak

I want to write a filter that will exclude specific files in the root & subdirs of the home folders in the USERDATA folder, without having to write a filter expression for each home folder or home folder subdir.

I can handle writing a filter for each file type, but @ 1000+ home folders, I think that many exclusions would crash the arcserve job, and it doesn't account for new subdirs in the home folders.

Something like FILE EXCLUDE e:\userdata\homefolder\*\*.exe

Anyone know the syntax? I've searched the wonderfully explicit docs from CA (Yeah Right), but the filtering section only touched on the surface of filtering.

I'm a former TSM admin, so this arcserve stuff seems weak to me, but hey I'm trying new things.

If you help me solve this issue, then I'll send a soveneir from the Louisville Slugger Museum.

A little incentive never hurt anyone.

;)

Sincerley,

brandon.baker@Loukymetro.org

did you try FILE EXCLUDE e:\userdata\homefolder*\*.exe (slightly different then what you wrote above)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back