Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced Client Install on XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cixelsydmai

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
Hi everyone,
I am experiencing problems getting the advanced client installed on XP SP2 machines. When I go to install the client via a push install (right click on a computer in a collection, and select install), the computer never starts installing the client.

I am using SMS 2003 with SP-1

I looked through the target computer, and I found a logfile (capinst.log) that tells me the following:
"Unable to open the client version registry key (183)"
In this log it also tells me that it finds the SLP, and that it deteced Windows 2000 or greater.

When I try to manually install the client by running capinst from the primary site server I get the following error under the c:\windows\ms\sms\logs\wnmanual.log:
"(SMS 2003 - with Service Pack) Unsupported OS configuration; exiting~"

I have only 1 SMS site, the primary site, and am running advanced security, have a domain admin acount for push install, have that account set to do the push install, and am not receiving any errors or warnings in the site status when I open the SMS Admin Console.
If you guys could give me some pointers, I would be most appreciative. I already turned the windows firewall off on those machines, and also disabled Data Execution Prevention (DEP) in XP. I am at a loss here. I set this site up exactly like the test site that I had set up and it is just not playing nice.
Would appreciate any input you guys may have.
Thanks in advance,

Sven

I am having the same problem. I haven't discovered the cause/fix yet...

Dan

Client Push Installation Client Push Installation fails on client computers running Windows XP SP 2. To enable Client Push Installation, enable File and Print Sharing in the Windows Firewall configuration on the Windows XP client

Thanks for your reply guys. I actually had several things wrong, which I was able to resolve over the last couple days. The clients weren't assigned to the site. Apparently we had a replication issue between the local DCs and a remote DC, which caused the clients to look for an outdated site name.
After we repaired the broken DC, and got replication going again, I reset up the subnets, and disabled hte windows firewall in sp 2, and then tried the installation again, and the clients installed just fine.
Thanks for all your help, hopefully that will fix it. Make sure the clients show up as assigned, otherwise you will not be able to install the client using the push method.
Regards,

Sven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back