Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

dretzlaf

Technical User
Dec 12, 2002
US
Hello,
I have a good teaser for everyone...
Does anyone have any ideas How do I disable the Display Properties Settings "Advanced" button??

Duane

Properties of What?

Some Advanced things are hidden if the user doesnt have admin privileges

Steve: N.M.N.F.
Playing the blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse.

You can use registry settings to disable the tabs themselves, but not the buttons on the 'Appearance' and 'Setting's tabs (both of which have 'Advanced' buttons).

You can sometimes remove buttons from dialogs by using a resource editor like Resource Hacker (
Unfortunately this won't work with 'desk.cpl' (the 'Control Panel' applet for 'Display Properties') because it only shows the 'desktop' tab as an editable dialog and not the other tabs.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Rick998, you are right on with what I was hoping to accomplish... I did suspect what you have explained very clearly would be the case...
If anyone else has any additional thoughts... I would love to hear them...

Duane

Quote:
How do I disable the Display Properties Settings "Advanced" button??

Where exactly are you talking about, I have seen alot of Advanced buttons, is this on The Video Display, IE Display?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

To further clarify, The "Advanced" button I talk about is found by navigating as follows:

1. Right click on the desktop.
2. Choose "Properties"
3. Click on the "Settings" tab of the Display Properties window.
4. It is in this window after the "Settings" tab is selected where the "Advanced" button shows up (it is located next to the "Troubleshoot" button. It would be awesome to somehow disable this "Advanced" button.

Hopefully this helps to clarify...

Awesome if someone knows of ideas to disable this...

Thanks, Duane

bracadar.... awesome! That is it!

How can this be done???

Duane

I have to agree with Rick 998. Unless you have the tools to re-write desk.cpl, it can't be done by conventional means. You might want to check some programmer forums or ask Microsoft to add the option. I did the screen shot using Hide Master, but that is just graphical not functional. Good luck!!!

As a double-check, I've just trawled through the 'Group Policy Settings Reference' spreadsheet (available from and I can't see any setting to remove the 'Advanced' button from the 'Settings' tab of the 'Display Properties' applet using the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back