Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adsl slows down when machine is left

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkymonkey

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,
The problem I am having is that if I am downloading off ftp or peer to peer and I leave it to it, After a while (maybe an hour or a bit longer) when I come back the connection is still there but the bps has gone down to very poor modem rates. However as soon as I start using the machine it then kicks back in. No other problems occur (connectivity or speed in normal usage)

OS XP Pro
256mb Ram
P4 2.1
Adsl Card
No screen saver or power saving enabled.

Any clues?

Thanks in Advance

Talk to your ISP. Some still use a particular method that detects whether you're surfing the internet or not. Even if one of your "ports" are active (in your case, downloading from FTP or P2P), your http ports (80, 81, and 8080 for example) are not. Your connection then slows to a crawl, because your ISP "thinks" you're idle. They do this in order to save on bandwidth demands from idle connections.

You can get an explanation from your ISP, but most likely, they won't do anything about it. What you need to do is get a program that will constantly send pings to make it look like your active, or keep your browser open to pages that refresh themselves every couple minutes.

Hope that helps...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thanks for the help,
I'll have a look around. I wonder if the old software that kept modems from dropping connection would work as it seems a similar principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back