Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL + PSTN over the same CAT5 cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris303

Technical User
Sep 17, 2006
GB
Is it possible to run 2 ADSL connections and 1 PSTN connection over 2 CAT5 cables? I am under the impression that ADSL requires just 3 pairs? and PSTN needs 2 pairs? so I should be able to use 8 the pairs for this purpose?

Chris

Pins 2,3,4,5 are filtered telephone connections, the same as the telephone BT431a socket on the front of the plate. These are used to run filtered extension sockets off the NTE5.

2&5 = line (filtered)
3 = ringing cct fed from capacitor on master socket/NTE5
4 = not used (earth connection for earth recall PBX extensions)

A & B are the unfiltered line that would normally go to the router/modem. The same as the adsl RJ11 plug on the front plate. These are used to extend the router connection through a cable to a remote location.

You only need 5 wires or 3 pairs (1 wire spare) to extend them to you cabinet so one cat5 cable should do.

The problem you will have is connecting them to your devices once you have them in the cabinet. To suggest the best way to do this I need to know if the cat5 cable is connected to a patch panel in the cabinet and if the telephone device you want to use is connected through the cabinet patch panel to a cat5 wall outlet or by some other method.

We'll get there eventually :p

Eric (UK Telecom's Veteran)

Ok thats fine.. I understand.

From my twisted pair theory you need to send the inverse signal down the second pair to protect the integrity of the signal? so what about the rouge wire which does not a second wire with a signal? how will this affect that particular signal?

The rest of it I have no problem with.... Everything punches down into IDC termination strips and then onwards to my patch panel, which is IDC at back, and RJ45 at the front for patch leads.

When I bring the CAT5 cables to the panel they patch to the ADSL modem, (crimped to RJ11), which will then patch to the router (crimped to RJ45). The filtered POTS signal will then be patched along with the ethernet signal to RJ45 ports in my rooms. I will then have some RJ45-to-BT adapters to allow me to use standard BT phones in the rooms.

Or. I may just use the POTS as a failsafe, and connect it just to VoIP adapters, and then use VoIP phones in the rooms which will be able to use the VoIP line or the POTS line if it needs to (through the adapters located at the patch panel)

There is no problem with the "rougue" wire it will not effect anything.

The best solution for the pots is to forget the 3rd wire and just use pins 2&5 connected on the blue/white pair. This will connect to pins 4&5 on the RJ45 patch panel. When you buy your RJ45-BT adaptors make sure you buy master ones, these will take care of the ringing for you as they have a capacitor in them and will push the ringing onto device instead of using the 3rd wire.

Good Luck

Eric (UK Telecom's Veteran)

sounds good.... thank you for the help ;)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back