Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADSL from phone line through CAT5 cable/network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nell1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Is it possible to route an ADSL line via a CAT5 cabled network?

I have a ADSL activated tel line but the phone socket is to far away from my modem.
Extending the phone line is unfortunately not an option. I have CAT5 cabled network

running through the building with a patchbay that connects the various floor ports in each

of the rooms.

Is it possible to route the ADSL via the network? I have seen various RJ11-RJ45 adaptors

and was curious if I could use one to connect from the phone socket to one of the RJ45

floor ports, through the patchbay and the network and out to a RJ45 port to another

RJ45-RJ11 adaptor in the room that has the ADSL modem/router.

Would really appreciate some advice on this.

Many thanks,

Nell1

Yes, the phone system traditionally uses pins 4 and 5 in a RJ45, while ethernet uses 1, 2, 3, and 6; so if you accidentally mis-wire it, no electronics should be hurt.

The distance limit should not exceed the 12,000 feet back to the CO, but you need not worry about ethernet's 328 feet limit.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Many thanks for the reply jimbopalmer!

When you say "CO", is that the Telco Exchange?

ya he means the telco exchange.. it is site specific too.. you may have a remote near your building.. or your cable might haul all the way back to a co...

you must keep it point to point when you extend it...
you can't just stick a patch into it and then terminate it in a switch..

essentially all you can do is extend the jack to where your modem is.

Thats great, many thanks for your help chaps!!

Nell1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back