Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADR 60 USB with Tapeware on XP pro - Device not ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonbloom

Technical User
Jan 8, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have recently acquired an ADR 60 USB using the bundled Tapeware XE. I am running XP pro as a stand alone machine.

Things seem to have installed OK but I have never manged to finish a ful backup (around 10 gig).

Tapeware returns a "drive not ready" message at some point (the best I got was 98%) but expects to continue, if I hit continue the ADR 60 bursts into life but I then get a further error message "media cannot be written to in this session" which can only be aborted.

Any Ideas? this is driving me mad!!!

Jon

Jon,

First thing I'd do is try with some other software...I really dislike Tapeware. Stop tapeware's services and make sure the adr2k driver is loaded, then try with NTBackup built into XP, and see what you can get. If it works, we know it's software, In which case an uninstall and reinstall might work for you...

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

Having tried Tapeware for a week (with no joy), I'm inclined to agree with you.

However, NTBackup does not recognise the adr2k drive for some reason. It appears in device manager, I have used Onstreams Tape@Once utility which can access the device, format the tape etc and using the same tool (with Tapeware unistalled) have reloaded the drivers and the utility comment states ready for use with NTBackup, but I can't get it to see the device.

Microsoft support the device and the drivers are MS digitally signed, I don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Jon.

Hi, the Tapeware installation disables the 'Removable Storage' service which is required for NTBackup to work.
The required default setting for this service is Startup type: 'Manual'.

Then there is a chance that the system's RSM Database has been corrupted.
To fix this run the Tape@Once utility an press the 'Clean RSM Database' button.

After this you should be able to use NTBackup with media type set to 'Miniqic'.

Giuz

Thanks Giuz,

I have resolved this problem which was more fundimental. The Tape@Once utility would not "clean" the RSM database.

In the end I followed MS KB Article:

which you posted in my other thread on this subject which resolved the problem.

I had a related issue which was the ARD2.60 USB not connecting as a Hi-speed device. Investigating this identified that the USB 2.0 PCI card I had puchaced with the VIA chipset is at best flaky. Changing to a card to one with the NEC chipset immediatly resolved the problem.

Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back