Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADP migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSql

Programmer
Jul 16, 2000
US
I am trying to import an ADP db to Access or SQL db.
The ADP db called Pay4win.dbs. To create an ODBC wht type of database should I use. Any help would be so helful.
Thanks

Dr. Sql
vpathisseril@yahoo.com
Good Luck.

Dr. Sql,

I really don't understand your question. an Access Data Project (ADP) only contains code and not data. It works with an SQL database (normally MS SQL Server). So do you mean that:
1. you already have an Access database,
2. you have a SQL database, or
3. you are trying to copy data into one of these?

ODBC is a connectivity layer between a data source and a front end. What do you mean "to create an ODBC"?

Normally with an ADP, you would have a SQL Server database.

We have an ADP PC/Payroll for windows. It uses some third party db's in local PC called Pay4win.dbs. I am trying to migrate that data from that file to Access or SQL so I can minuplate it.
Thanks

Dr. Sql
vpathisseril@yahoo.com
Good Luck.

My interpretation is that Pay4win.dbs is probably an MSDE database. Make a copy of everthing in the folder and attach the dbs to the database through SQL Server Enterprise Manager. Then, all you need to do is connect to it with SQL Server and do what you want with the database.

Be aware that if this is a propriatory commercial database you will probably invalidate any support and maintenance agreements by doing this as you may be deconstructing somebody eles's intellectual property.

It almost appears that you are describing the vendor ADP that distributes a PC based accounting package. Is this the case?

ADP uses a SQLBase database.

You can download their ODBC, OLEDB, and .NET providers for free from their site. Version 8.5 is the latest.

I've had success connecting using Access 97 and ODBC. I've even written a tiny C# program that reads from the ADP/HR Perspective databases using the .NET provider (our database is on a server, not individual PCs).

To get the ODBC to work on a PC that does not have HR Perspective installed, you must configure the SQL.INI file. We also had to copy SQLWS32.DLL to the same folder. For some reason, the 8.5 driver download doesn't include this file!?! Our version is 1797.1.0.12379, not sure if 100% compatible with latest driver or not.

I would like to setup a Linked Server using MS SQL 2000. Have not had any success there.

Using DTS (again is SQL 2000), I can export the database table schemas (but not the data). It is bizarre, because I can preview the data in DTS, but it errors during the copying complaining about not finding the column names.

Email me if we you would like to exchange ideas/thoughts.

Greg
MSDBA, MCSD
greg_burns@hotmail.com

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but should you even be trying this? As an ADP software client don't you sign a support agreement? this would invalidate that agreemant wouldn't it?

I just do what they ask. :)

We are only reading data from it, no writing.

I found this thread searching on ADP, and then posted not realizing this topic was about MS Access ADP files. P-)

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back