Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adodc/DLL loading problem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph8

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2003
US
My dev context is VB 6 and SQL Server 7 (MSDE).

My problem is:

After building a "release" of my project and then loading it on a "user" machine I get these results:

The program appears to load fine. On first execution, I get the message that the program linked successfully to the DB.BUT, when I select and process any of the child forms, every adoDC causes a message "[ADODC}: Unknown error. [ADO]:". After I get the last of those, there is a Run Time Error '48': Error loading DLL.

I assume that a DLL effecting the adoDCs is corrupted or missing, but there is no indication of what that DLL is.

This has been working in the past on both local (Server) and remote client machines. The current results are hard and consistent. I have not found a way past them.

Can any one help?

TIA

Ralph D. Meredith

if you know theres a dll missing, have u tried looking at what libraries are ticked for use in tour IDE?
that might give u a shortlist of possible dlls to transfer to the "user" machine to enable the prog 2 work

What are you using to package your application?

Prior to doing so, is your VB6 updated to SP5?

Further update:

Using MS Comcheck program to analyze MDAC it appears that at some time in the past, that 2.5 had been upgraded to 2.6 and then overlaid again with 2.5 which left a group of file errors.

From what I read, it seems that nothing over 2.5 should be used in the SQL Server 7 environment. Maybe I would be all right if I could cleanly delete the MDAC and re install 2.5 from scratch.

The new problem: The Comcheck delete function does not seem to work. I have tried it with the /D and /NR switches and it just does another analysis.

Does any one know of a way to cleanly delete the MDAC?

TIA

Ralph D. Meredith

Belay that last! I got the Comcheck.exe /D to work as advertised. I apparently had read the instructions with a forked eye.

I am doing further testing to see where I am with my Dev machine and my test machines all on MDAC 2.5

I will give an update ASAP.

TIA

Ralph D. Meredith

That seemed to solve the basic problem. I have a few other things now that I may have created going down rabbit trails in my ignorance of the real problem.

Hopefully, it will be straightened out shortly.

Thanks for the responses guys.

TIA

Ralph D. Meredith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back