Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADODB Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugzLue

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2001
US
I made a program that that is using ADO and it runs great on the computer that I set the ConnectionString. But after I build the EXE and test it on a different computer I get this error ADO could not find the specified provider.

I do have the db in the same location as it was on the system that built the program.

Also any help on making a distributable version of the application with a set up program

Thanks
Live to learn or die trying

Could be wrong but it sounds likd you need to set up your ODBC driver.

When you change the location of your exe, move it to another computer, you are changing the path to your db. You will need to reset your connection string. I have used a dialog box to allow the user to search for the db and then saved the path in the registry so it can be used again.

Use the Package and Deployment wizard to create a simple installation program. This will give you a setup file that installs all files that you need to run your program. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

How would I reset the ConnectionString after I have made the .exe? The database is in the same place as it was on the system that the program was built on. I also created a install setup and I still get the ADO message. I should say it was built on 2000 and I tried to install it on a 95 and that is the one that I get the message on. any other help would be great. thanks for the help
Live to learn or die trying

I think you created an Access 2000 DB, which can only be processed by the Jet 4.x engine which probably is not installed on the Win '95 computer. I do not know that it can be installed. Access 2000 DB has no option to create a "back-level" DB. Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Control
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

To make a dynamic connection string you need to build it with variables. Then you feed the corect values to the variables at run time. The only variable that you need is the path to the database. Others such as user id and password you can include if needed.

You can use the common dialog control to allow the user to browse to the database and then assign the filename property to the variable. You can save this value for future use so the user does not have to browse again, as long as the path to the database does not change. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Which ADO version are you referencing?

If 2.0 or 2.1 then:
Download and run MDAC 2.5 on the Win95.

And reference the ADO 2.5 in your project.

If the ADO version is higher, then:
download MDAC 2.6/7 AND the Jet 4.0.
And reference the ADO 2.6 in your project.
[/b][/i][/u]*******************************************************
[sub]General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

What about DCOM98 - maybe it should be installed on the 95 computer

I believe that win95 needs DCOM95 not DCOM98, but it is a good point. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Here is the DCOM info from Microsoft

DCOM98
DCOM98 installs the DCOM components on both Windows 95 and Windows 98 computers. The components that DCOM installs on Windows 98 computers are newer than those that ship with Windows 98 and are required by some components of Visual Basic to run properly.
DCOM98 ships with Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0.
DCOM98 can be installed automatically by the Visual Basic installation program.
DCOM98 is available on the Visual Basic installation CD-ROM in the DCOM98 folder.

DCOM95
DCOM95 version 1.3 installs the latest DCOM components ONLY on Windows 95 computers. DCOM95 is not intended to and will not install on Windows 98 computers. If you have installed DCOM95 version 1.3, you do not need to install DCOM98 on the client computer.
DCOM95 is newer than DCOM98. If you would like your Windows 95 clients to run the latest DCOM components be sure they install DCOM95 version 1.3.
DCOM95 version 1.3 is available for download from the following Web site:

Hope this helps

Yes, you may need DCOM if it is not already installed. I was going to mention that, but decided to wait and see what happens. [/b][/i][/u]*******************************************************
[sub]General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back