Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe PDF Send by email

Status
Not open for further replies.

clp247

Technical User
Oct 27, 2004
GB
Can somebody clarify to me what the Adobe PDF writer will do in GP versions 9 and 10?

So far I have the following:

1. from a screen output you can click the Send To PDF button, an email is opened and the report attached with the report name e.g SOP Blank Invoice.pdf

2. when using email statements in a statement run, an email is created with the subject line entered per the Email stmts window, a pdf of the statement is attached,the email is sent to the recipient set in the Customer options window.

What I and my clients would like to see is:

1. from screen output let me click Send to PDF and have the pdf document named the same as the document number in GP (SOP Invoice or PO Number for example)

2. the ability to enter template message text to the email - maybe pulling a signature from Outlook

3. Populating the email address held against the relevant customer/supplier card in Screen Output-Send to PDF request

4. when sending email statements to be able to pull a standard signature into the email prior to sending or to provide a message text to accompany the email

Have I got it right in what I think Adobe PDF does and can any of my hopes be accomplished?

Finally can Adobe (or print driver) be influenced by vba code or is it Dexterity?

Many thanks for any advice.

we have had better success with a GP bolt on and a piece of freeware.

Freeware is PrimoPdf - when you install this on a machine it is just like having another printer called 'PrimoPdf'. So instead of using 'send to pdf' we print everything to Primo - then do hard copy of needed.

GP Bolt on is Liason Messanger. This is pretty slick in that any of our customers who want an order confirmation (for example) will have that automagically emailed to them. Liason gets you thinking of all GP documents like they were using the old 'carbon paper' where each copy of the original MIGHt have same data - might not - but they all are related (their term is PLY). So when my users transfer a quote to an order Liason checks to see if that customer needs an order contirmation and emails the form that the customer wants (some international folks want it in another format than the north america folks - but they are all a different ply of the order sheet). Same with invoices and any other report out of GP.

So for cheap we kinda got around some of the issues that you have.

make sense?

Another product, that we use, is pdf995. It is very cheap licensing, and very fast. Also is very programmable. You can use vbscript or Access/Excel VBA to automate emails. If you own Modifier, you can also automate/drive PDF and email generation.

We send reports directly from GP to pdf.

Hi jymm and MentatDragon,

Thanks for the alternatives you have suggested, I will check them out.

It's a shame Adobe and GP can't be manipulated though.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back