Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe Illustrator 8.0 - Wilful Palettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikermann

Instructor
Jan 22, 2002
US
WIN2000
Can anyone out there give me an idea why some of my open palettes, so neatly lined up at the right side of my screen when I close Illustrator, have moved left toward the middle of the screen when I open Illustrator the next time? How do I train them to "sit" where I tell them....?
Thanks!

Try Windows > workspace > Default - this will line them up in a default way, but you may need to do it each time you open. Hope that helps.

Thank you for your suggestion. However, what do you mean by "Windows - workspace - default"; in Illustrator there is only "Window" in the toolbar and that pull-down has no "workspace" or "default" ..... hmmm

What do you mean?

Oh, thats because I am working on Illustrator CS2 and it gives this option in Windows for workspace, must not be on earlier versions. Did you say your on version 8?

Hikerman:

You may be having this trouble if you change screen resolutions when switching between applications. If you have Illustrator running but minimized, and then change screen resolution to a lower setting (i.e. probably from 800x600 to 640x480, considering that you're still on 8...), the palettes will conform to stay within the screen edges, and later when the res is raised higher, the palettes stay closer to the middle.

HTH

Bert

Thanks for your response. However, I seldom change screen resolution. Your suggestion probably wouldn't apply anyway, since only about three or four of the palettes "move" while the remainder stay nicely lined up where I had originally positioned them....

Thanks again.

Hiker:

Set up your interface exactly the way you like it. Close Illustrator. Do a search on your system for "aiprefs". You must enable search for hidden/system files, and the file has no extension, just "aiprefs" without the quotes. When you find the file, make it READ-ONLY. This way, it will forever be exactly the same. You can move palettes around while working, but the next time you fire up Illustrator they will be where they should be.

You should upgrade, though, 8 is a (functional) dinosaur.

Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back