Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe FrameMaker v's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darzza

Technical User
Mar 31, 2005
GB
Hi (First post - hope this is the right place.... help desperately needed!)

We produce 30 manuals that are all about 400 pages long and include pictures, tables and lot of text (we also get these translated in all European languages). Currently we use PageMaker and convert the documents to PDF for distribution after having been sent to the rather expensive translators.

I'm looking to update our software to try and make the process of maintaining these manuals a lot easier.

I have identified 3 possibilities and was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom/comments/suggestions that would help. These are: -

Adobe FrameMaker - which I like a lot, especially that it seems to allow for data to be changed on one page and automatically update other pages. Also the fact that it looks like it would be relatively easy to transfer all our current PageMaker documents into FramMaker.

Adobe Indesign CS - looks ok. But more geared towards making things look all pretty (not a major concern 'it's what's on the inside that counts!!)

and

uarkXPress Passport - cheap as chips. Looks to have a layer facility just like PageMakers. But can't see why it is so much better than PageMaker.

It is important that we can convert to PDF, and maintain muti language documents. (the latter being the most important and costly for us) Also, that we can import all of our current PageMaker documents into the new programme.

Al help will be greatly appreciated! (sorry for the huge essay!) - just not sure which route to go down. Really looking for a critique of the mentioned programmes - want to make sure that I haven't missed anything!

Cheers, PTD

Hi Darzza

Framemaker will handle your manuals, PDF and languages no problem.

1. Allow two months to learn Framemaker, set up your templates and put a working procedure/ system in place.

2. We are moving from Freelance Graphics, Word and PDF and the conversion is plain hard work and takes plenty of time. No short cut unfortunately.

3. To print to PDF is easy. The saveable PDF Setup define print quality, bookmarks, tags and links. The bookmarks to be created can be selected i.e. which paragraph headers, contents, figures etc.

4. As for languages, we use a Memory Tranlator (Dejavu) to manage this process of translating the files form Framemaker and it is saving us a lot in translations. Up to 70% per manual is reused. A Framemaker feature "conditional text" also allow more than one language to exist in one document.

5. Lastly, referenced graphics. Graphic links default to UNC. In templates a link will point everybody to the same graphic. For example the company logo. Good practice is to place graphics in a image folder for each chapter which in turn will be in its own folder. When you copy a chaper folder to another manual the links will stay intact.

Plenty more reasons to choose Framemaker.

Please post if you have any other questions.

CGresley

Hi CGresley,

Thanks very much for your help with this.

I have been doing further research - and was (before reading replies this morning) beginning to think that Adobe InDesign C PageMaker Edition may be the best option for us?? What do u think? Are both packages about the same or does one have particular benefits for what we need to do? We don't particularly want a supa-dupa package stuffed full of bits and bobs that we will never use, just need something to do the job - quicker, better and faster (my bosses 3 favourite words!)

Your point 4. - that is very interesting. we are a manufacturing company, and therefore a lot of the information we need translated is very specific (but easily miss translated). We too re-use a lot of the information in our manuals (11 pant types and 12 languages for them to be translated to.) How does Dejavu work? We have got about half of our manuals translated already - but the products change nearly monthly (to a degree) and a model can last nearly 10 years. To find something that would save translation time and cost would be fantastic!

Thanks once again for you help.

P
T
Darzza

'Try fail try again fail better....'

Hi Darzza

I have no experience on In Design and PageMaker is back in the box in my drawer so can't really help with them.

Framemaker for me produces 35MB PDF files over 200 pages solidly and stable. What I like is the fact that our manuals are split into about 15 .fm files. A .book file with Table of Content (TOC) is created form these files. Should any of the .fm files change, save a new .book (25 kb in size) and update. This update process recreates the TOC, page and paragraph numbers. Print to PDF and you have a new manual with bookmarks, numbering, references etc. all correct.

References: Plenty scope. An example I use is to create balloons for parts. Each balloon is link to the numbered part in a table. Insert a part and all the balloon numbers update. Print in PDF and a link is created.

Framemakers drawback is that most graphics and photos need to be processed with something else. I mostly use Photodesign, Acad and plain Irfanview.

Point 4. Dejavu is a Memory Translator which translator normally used. We used it to manage this £500 on average 'investment' in translating a manual. 15man*10lang*500.

The translators get a plain text file. They translate and return the translated text file. In Dejavu we align these files (tedious job) and import them into the Translation Memory Database.

The Framemaker, or Word or PageMaker (most formats) files are then imported into Dejavu. Dejavu then checks the whole sentences against what was already translated and give a match. Also a fuzzy match if it's close. Most time a small change is required. Sentences with no matches are exported and passed to the translators. Over time you will grow your database. When creating manuals you start remembering sentences and can look them up in the database and copy them into new manuals.

When the translation is completed, export the files. All formatting in the original docs stay intact and new files are placed in a seperate folder. Combine and you have a translated manual. And a bit of craft of course.

Thats my two pence worth.

Only pleased to help.

CGresley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back