Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe Cloning / Pattern Stamp Problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjd45

MIS
May 15, 2010
GB
I am using Adobe Photoshop 5.2. I have used the Pattern Stamp for cloning for years, but during the course of cloning multiple images it suddenly just went wrong. When I used the left mouse button to 'Alt & click' on the area I wanted to clone instead of allowing me to replicate the clicked area a message box appeared stating 'Could not use the Pattern Stamp as no pattern has been defined' - which was incorrect of course because I had already'Alt clicked' the appropriate area.

After various attempts to solve the problem and seeing no guidance to this problem in 'Photoshop 5 The Complete Idiots Guide' book I decided to uninstall & reinstall...all to no avail, because the message contined to appear after I had reinstalled. - Please Help!

Thanks & regards,
sjd45

Maybe your preferences need to be reset to their install state, they sometimes get "hosed" and strange happen.

While holding down the [Ctrl Alt Shift ] keys, Click Start > All Programs > Photoshop.

A MessageBox will ask "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File" to which you answer Yes.

The Preferences file will be rebuilt and hopefully your problem is fixed.

Good Luck

Sam

Thanks for that info Sam and I will copy that & paste it somewhere safe just in case it happens again. I had actually uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop twice, but still the cloning pattern stamp gave the message that no pattern had been defined. I then uninstalled it yet again this morning and afterwards shutdown my PC. Then I re-booted and reinstalled Photoshop and the problem was resolved & I could clone again. Maybe because I had not shut down in the prior uninstalls the system just hung onto some peculiarity that made the fault recur, but then after shutdown & reboot it cleared it?
Best regards,
Stan

Hi

Just a hint.

When you uninstall a program and reinstall it to fix an error.
It is a good idea to install it in a different address then the original.

Just changing it to C:\Program files\"NewPhotoshop" for example will cause the computer to see it as a new program and not pickup information from the old installation.

Adobe will still find the correct address for updates etc.

Mike

A useful tip - thanks for that Mike.

Regards,
Stan

I have a problem with the clone stamp and the crop tool that is driving me mad. The clone stamp is a nice circle so that you can see exactly what area you are covering with the tool. The crop is like two picture frames, which again gives you complete control.

However every so often both my clone tool and crop tool vanish and leave instead a set of crosshairs which is absolutely no good for cloning.

Can anyone tell me what's happening and how I can get my old tool shapes back please?

have you tried my suggestion above (resetting your preferences)?

sam

Hi

What you are probably doing is hitting the "Caps Lock Key".
Clicking on the Caps lock Key alternates between the different cursors.

I do this by accident all the time and then I can't find my cursor with my 71 year old eyes.

Mike

Nocandu,

I know I've given you a star but here's a few more ******************************************************************************************************************************
you sir have just stopped me from hurling my computer out the window. This has been bugging me for the last 15 years. I now rate you Genius and capable of running the world. Have a few more stars *************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** you get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back