Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe 6.0 Reader & Full version not open correct page

Status
Not open for further replies.

klaz2002

Programmer
Nov 6, 2002
US
Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I have created a webapplication that when the user/client clicks on a link, brings up a PDF form. I noticed that with Acrobat Reader 6.0 (Full version too), if the PDF doc has the same name as a previous one it shows the old one. (In my case I have a webpage return the PDF form requested so the PDF file is always named the same! It has the name of the web page.) When I manually hit the REFRESH button on my browser (IE & Netscape) the Acrobat Reader 6.0 gives me the correct form. I have unchecked (its the default anyway) the Page Cache option. In Acrobat 5.0.5 this did not happen. Has anyone experienced this?

(This gets even weirder (if thats a word). If I drop a file on the webserver (save the file to the harddrive) and direct the webbrowser to that new file (ie. new name) it brings up the old file too! Its like Adobe 'knows' the file and tries to shortcut so that access user time is real small. This is crazy. If I didn't experience this I wouldn't believe it.)
Is there a way to turn this 'feature' off. So that Adobe must get a new copy of the pdf file. Or is there a way to clear the local Cache?

This is normal behavior. If the browser has cached content, it will use the cached content rather than make a server round-trip.

You can either

1) direct the browser to not cache, via standard meta-tags/expiration tags

2) create uniquely-named PDFs

Thomas D. Greer

Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

Tgreer,
I tried both suggestions, yet in adobe 6 these don't help. I thought of your uniqe file naming idea, and implemented it. I couldn't believe that Adobe 6 could display the older pages as this was a new call (ie a new file name).

In Adobe 5 this issue never even came up with this app. I was going to ignore this problem and just ask all users to only use Adobe 5, but after browsing the Adobe site I couldn't even find the acrobat 5 download. (I am sure that I own a copy and its saved on my machine) I can't ask the user to use something that will not be supported any longer, but I sure wish I could. (it would save me a lot of heartache.)

I have a user that is having a similar issue. She created a HUGE PDF from a Pagemaker file and the document is supposed to return to the table of contents but instead returns to the beginning page. It happens to people with Adobe 6.0 reader, but not any version of 5.0...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jcochran1977

Okay. Well then I am sorry, but can some one try to point me in the direction of some assistance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back