Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO vs DAO DBEngine Idle, BeginTrans, CommitTrans 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmgrn

Programmer
Nov 28, 2001
US
I have read a lot of articles on DAO to ADO but cannot seem to find information on how to migrate my 'DBEngine.Idle dbRefreshCache', 'DBEngine.Workspace.BeginTrans' and 'DBEngine.Workspace.CommitTrans dbForceOSFlush' to ADO.

These are vital on our network to get good response with our VB6, MSAccess97 and DAO payroll system.

We already know ADO will be probably be slower so would like info on comparable ADO methods, if any exist, so we can move from MSAccess97 and DAO.

Thanks.

BeginTrans and CommitTrans are methods of the ADO connection object and work just as do the DAO counterparts.

The counterpart for DBEngine.Idle dbRefreshCache is in JRO (Jet Replication Objects x.x Library) as the method
Code:
Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim je As New JRO.JetEngine

cnn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
      "Data Source=.\NorthWind2002.mdb;"

je.RefreshCache cnn

I don't know of an ADO equivalent for CommitTrans dbFlushOSCacheWrites. 'tis my understanding that ADO forces a disk write automatically with a CommitTrans and doesn't cache the data. Could be wrong about that however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back