Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO.NET dataAdapter,update Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crookshanks

Technical User
May 18, 2004
NL
Hello there,

I have problems with updating the data in the data source (Accessdatabase). I am writing an eventhandler that should reset the password of a user.

daUsers = data-Adapter
dsUsers = dataset
drUsers = the current row

Private Sub cmdReset_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdReset.Click
response = MsgBox("Weet U zeker dan u het wachtwoord wilt resetten?", MsgBoxStyle.YesNo)
If response = MsgBoxResult.No Then Exit Sub

drUsers.Item("Password") = InitialPassword 'change record
Try
Me.daUsers.Update(Me.dsUsers.Users)
Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox(ex.ToString)
End Try
End Sub

When I try to save the change to the actual database I've got the following exception error. Could someone please explain why I am receiving this?

Errormessage:
SystemInvalidOperationsException: Update requieres a valid update command when passed dataRow collection with modified rows.

What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards,

Do you have a sqlclient.sqlcommand object assigned to the daUsers.UpdateCommand property? if u havent created the DA using the wizard then you need to create the command manually.

hope this helps.
:)

Yes Thanks. I found out that the error had to do with the command. I am now trying to figure out how to manually assign such a command. Perhaps you could help me with an example based on my program code? Well any way. Thanks.

I recently did something similar except I used the wizard to configure my dataAdapter. This is the code the it generated for the update command for my table..

Mine was the employees table and had 4 fields : EId(primary key), Name, TelNumber, password. I know its long but it works...

Friend WithEvents SqlUpdateCommand5 As System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5 = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand

Me.daEmp.UpdateCommand = Me.SqlUpdateCommand5

Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.CommandText = "UPDATE Employee SET Eid = @Eid, Name = @Name, TelNumber = @TelNumber, Password = " & _
"@Password WHERE (Eid = @Original_Eid) AND (Name = @Original_Name OR @Original_Na" & _
"me IS NULL AND Name IS NULL) AND (Password = @Original_Password OR @Original_Pas" & _
"sword IS NULL AND Password IS NULL) AND (TelNumber = @Original_TelNumber OR @Ori" & _
"ginal_TelNumber IS NULL AND TelNumber IS NULL); SELECT Eid, Name, TelNumber, Pas" & _
"sword FROM Employee WHERE (Eid = @Eid)"
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Connection = Me.SqlConnection2
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Eid", System.Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 3, "Eid"))
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Name", System.Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 50, "Name"))
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@TelNumber", System.Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 50, "TelNumber"))
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Password", System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar, 10, "Password"))
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Original_Eid", System.Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 3, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, False, CType(0, Byte), CType(0, Byte), "Eid", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, Nothing))
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Original_Name", System.Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 50, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, False, CType(0, Byte), CType(0, Byte), "Name", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, Nothing))
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Original_Password", System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar, 10, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, False, CType(0, Byte), CType(0, Byte), "Password", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, Nothing))
Me.SqlUpdateCommand5.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Original_TelNumber", System.Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 50, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, False, CType(0, Byte), CType(0, Byte), "TelNumber", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, Nothing))

:)

Like this :

Dim commbld As OleDbCommandBuilder = New OleDbCommandBuilder(adapterRelaties)
adapterRelaties.Update(datasetRelaties, "Relaties")
datasetRelaties.AcceptChanges()

Eric De Decker
Visit The Belgium "Visual Basic Group" at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back