Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO from Excel to retrieve saved Access query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantek

Programmer
Apr 25, 2011
US
I am trying to retrieve the information from a saved Access query and display the results in Microsoft Excel. I managed to find some helpful code, but it is only working for some queries and not others. If I run it on certain queries, it gives me the full results. If I try it on others, it does not find any records. Any idea what could be causing this?

Code:
Sub GetQuery()

Dim wsl As Worksheet
    Dim cn As ADODB.Connection
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim r As Integer, i As Integer
    Dim fld As ADODB.Field

Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    Set rs2 = New ADODB.Recordset

Set wsl = Sheet3

With cn
        .Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
        .Open "C:\Test.mdb"
    End With

With rs
        .Open Source:="qryClone", ActiveConnection:=cn, CursorType:=adOpenForwardOnly, LockType:=adLockReadOnly

r = 2

Do While Not .EOF
            i = 1
            For Each fld In .Fields
                wsl.Cells(r, i).Value = fld.Value
                i = i + 1
            Next
            r = r + 1
            .MoveNext
        Loop

End With

rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    cn.Close
    Set cn = Nothing

End Sub

The saved query shouldn't have any parameter, I guess.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Yes, valid point. The query in this case does not require any new parameters - it has everyting that it needs.

What is the SQL code of this query ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

BTW, did you try to use MS-Query ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

SQL:
SELECT Leave.ID, Leave.Area, Leave.Location, Leave.Department, Leave.EType, Leave.LocNum, Leave.LeaveRsn
FROM Leave
WHERE (((Leave.LeaveRsn) Is Null));

I just tried, and I am able to get the field names, but not any record values...

but not any record values
Perhaps you have no record with null LeaveRsn ...
What about this SQL instead ?
SQL:
SELECT Leave.ID, Leave.Area, Leave.Location, Leave.Department, Leave.EType, Leave.LocNum, Leave.LeaveRsn
FROM Leave
WHERE Trim(Leave.LeaveRsn & '') = ''

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I just realized, it's a query of a query of a query. I thought that could be part of the problem, but I have other queries that work when I retrieve from a query of a query.

I tried running the prior query ("Leave") and I had the same problem. It pulled from query "Everyone". I was able to grab the records from "Everyone" without an issue. Maybe the problem is then with the following query, "Leave".

SQL:
SELECT Everyone.ID, Everyone.Area, Everyone.Location, Everyone.Department, Everyone.EType, Everyone.LocNum, LeaveCodes.LeaveRsn
FROM LeaveCodes RIGHT JOIN Everyone ON LeaveCodes.Leave_Description = Everyone.Leave_Description
WHERE (((Everyone.Status) Like "*Benefit*"));

As you use ADO, I'd try to replace this:
Like "*Benefit*"
with this:
Like '%Benefit%'

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

You solved it PHV, thank you so much!

Except this is kinda crazy. Now that I have changed the query to Like '%Benefits%', that query ONLY works via ADO - it I look at it in Access it does not work. But that is alright, I will create a copy of the query that will only be accessed via ADO.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back