Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO Data Control Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollingMoose

Programmer
May 13, 2002
US
I have an ADO Data Control on a form that is bound to various textboxes. I also have combo boxes that pass values back and forth to these textboxes. I have tried to do the following with a command button when the user wants to make changes and update the recordset:

adoDataControl.adoRecordset.Update

However, it doesn't always perform the update on all the textboxes. Any ideas on why this update won't work correctly or what I should look for? Perhaps I should just move to all code and drop the ADODC............Thanks for any suggestions.

> Perhaps I should just move to all code and drop the ADODC..

A fine idea. Personally, I think the Data Control and bound controls cause more headaches than they are worth.

Robert

"Data Control and bound controls cause more headaches than they are worth"

Well, personally I think you are right about the Data Control. It just complicates matters, if the project is anything but small, and sooner or later somewhere down the road you end up changing to a recordset and connection object anyways.

But, bound controls, being more headaches? I wouldn't say that. They are nice to work with, and you save some steps in between.
No problems at all binding them to a recordset - the record fields do not need to be updated until the pointer changes to the next record, just like you can and have to do when doing it the "old" way. So everyone does this anyways.

You can look at a private module level variables assigned in Property Let as a type of "bound variable".
It's no different with bound controls. And you have the same level of control as a Property Let/Get.
So, why not?

I guess a better way to put it would have been:

" Binding controls to the Data Control causes more headaches than it is worth "

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back