Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO and ASP Bizarre Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheykc

Programmer
Sep 28, 2001
US
I have an interesting problem. The data on our Sybase server has $10 or $90 (even numbers of 10, below $100) in a money field. But, when ADO returns it--it's result is $1, or $9 (or whatever the number is).

I've never seen this before. Does anyone know why this is happening? It doesn't happen on any other amounts, just even numbers of 10, below $100. It doesn't happen on any other money fields either.

I'm using ADO in an ASP page.

Here is a sample of the code:

set oFSCN = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
set oFS1 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

With oFSCN
.Provider = "MSDASQL.1"
.Properties("User ID") = sUserID
.Properties("Password") = sPassword
.Properties("Data Source") = sDataSource
.CursorLocation = 3
.Open
End With

With oFS1
.Source = sHnobjectsDB & "..hnsp_ecp_fsprol01_s '" & cStr(sClaimID) & "'"
.ActiveConnection = oFSCN
.Open
End With

If oFS1.RecordCount > 0 then
For y = 1 to oFS1.RecordCount
Response.Write oFS1.Fields.Item("cdml_chg_amt").Value
Next
oFS1.MoveNext
End If

Returns:

If I use Query Analyzer and execute the stored procedure, the values in the column are:

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Shey

stobeck:

I've never heard of such a problem either - but hey, computers are always worth a laugh, aren't they...

Are you storing these prices (or whatever) in the "money" data type format of Sybase? Could it be that there is a bug with this particular data type that would be avoided if you stored the values as "normal" numbers?

Perhaps you can create a test database and try different solutions!?

DrMaggie ---------
"Those who don't know the mistakes of the past won't be able to enjoy it when they make them again in the future."
— Leonard McCoy, MD (in Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders)

I was thinking along the same idea. I'm thinking of changing the stored procedure so it creates a numeric instead of money type. I was just trying to avoid that, because this stored procedure is being used by another client/server based app too (where the problem doesn't occur).

Just so strange...

Thanks for the help.

stobeck:

Have you tried contacting the tech support of your vendor or of Sybase? Perhaps there is some FAQ available, or a list of known issues - it seems odd that you (or rather your application) should be the only one experiencing this problem!

Anyway, good luck - and if you figure it out, I'm sure plenty of people would appreciate it, if you post back to this forum with the solution!

Peace and long life...

DrMaggie ---------
"Those who don't know the mistakes of the past won't be able to enjoy it when they make them again in the future."
— Leonard McCoy, MD (in Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders)

The problem was a noted Sybase issue in the 11.1.1 client. So, I created a workaround for now, by converting the money value to a numeric value in the stored procedure.

After more testing, we also discovered that this issue was occuring on other values higher than $100. Basically, any number ending in 0, the 0's to the left of the decimal were being truncated.

As it turns out, I really didn't need to do all of this--because we are sending this stored procedure to web hosting facility--where they run a newer version of the Sybase client and this issue has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back