Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admintool says /etc/passwd is in use? Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drill

Technical User
May 2, 2001
GB
Using Solaris 5.6 and can add a user fine with useradd but when i go to add a user in admintool it says /etc/passwd is busy/in use. Any ideas anybody?
Many Thanks.

(Box has been rebooted etc)

Try doing an fuser -u /etc/passwd

This will hopefully tell you who's using it. Are there any other admins likely to be doing so? Hope this helps.

Tried this but it doesnt display anything that is using /etc/passwd. Any more ideas?

Many Thanks

Have a look at /etc/passwd using vi there might be an entry in there that admintool can't cope with.

I have changed the permissions of the file admintool from rwxrwxrwx to rws r r and it seems to be working...to a point. I can now get to a stage that i can add a user but i gives duplicate/in use UID errors. I am sure i have seen this somewhere before so i will have a hunt around. Many thanks to all for your input so far. :)

Doesn't Admintool create a temporary file and use it as a lock mechanism?
Something like /etc/ptmp or /etc/passwd.tmp ?
If it does and an Admintool process is abnormally terminated, you might have to remove this file manually.

Admintool uses "/etc/.pwd.lock" as lock file.

Regards,

Carlos Almeida,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back