Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrator privileges are not sufficient???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHerm

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
I have now run across several Windows 2000 Pro workstations (even in different States) where the administrator is not able to write to folders (this has happened while trying to copy files and while trying to install applications). In two instances the operating system was installed again and the problem went away.

The problem is happening on my own workstation and I really don't want to install the operating system again. It seems to me that there must be a way to make sure that the administrator truly DOES have administrator privileges.

Does anyone know of this problem and have a solution?

Thanks,

Ken

You need to take ownership of the folders concerned (you can remove Administrator's rights to a folder, but as Administrator you can always take ownership, and then give Administrator whatever rights are required). Advanced button on the security tab - then owner tab.

This may not be relevant but I encountered a similar problem after converting to NTFS, particularly when trying to install apps using windows installer or trying to print from ie6.

Somewhere i read that occasionally the system does not have sufficient rights to install etc. (!!!!!) The solution was to go to the root of your HDD (probably c:\) in windows explorer, right click on C:\, select properties, security and add SYSTEM as a user with full rights.

This worked for me!

Thanks this may fix my problem. My Dad lives in Seattle and I am SoCal. I installed w2K on his PC several months ago and a program he has was for win98. It didnt work so I set it for 98 compatibility and it worked for a while.

He received a win2K version and it will not let him save a file. He opens the program and I taught him last fall to first save the new document as whatever client/job he was working on into a data tree structure folders instead of the programs default. But when he goes to save now it appears to do something but the new document never changes from untitled to what he saved it as. We go to open and there is the file but he opens it and it is blank with no work in it saved. It is basically a blank document.

When I was there last fall I created him an account and added him to the adminstrator group. He should already have the proper admin rights. He called the company and they had him reinstall the program. He has done this 2 times.

Thinking this is somekind of permissions issue I had him add his account to the program he is having the problems with and set it to full control. I had him as well go to his data folders and add his account to them with full control rights as well. This didnt work. The same thing.

So I had him log on as the local admin and the program acts the same way. We uninstalled and reinstalled the program under the local admin and bam the same thing.

The thing I havent done is changed the permissions to the C Drive. I cant reinstall the OS due to a 1700 mile walk. But now that I read this thread I remember at work doing something similiar for a program that would not save right. I remember adding system with full control to C:
Thanks

In addition to setting the permissions as suggested above, you might like to look at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 319624 which I now remember is where I got the original info. This gives a couple of other possibilities.

Another useful article is no. 260404.

Good luck!!

Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back