Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

administrator permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayhoe

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
GB
Hi

Just moved to W2k Server from NT4 Server. I was used to the administrator account being able to see everything - all users disk shares and email folders. I can't do that now, have I not configured something right?

Regards

Frank

Administrator has stil the rights to take ownership. So even if there are restrictions and just some groups have access, the administrator anytime can use take ownership. Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

What is your domain model? ANyway, you have to add the domain administrator account to the local administrators group to have local admin rights .

Thanks guys

I've got access to the computers now, but not the email folders, I'll keep working at it!

Frank

What email server are you using? Exchange? Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Thanks for your replies

>What email server are you using? Exchange?

Yes, Exchange 2000. In Exchange 5.5 I used to be able to run Outlook on the Server and view the administrator email account, and also be able to use File, Open, Other Users Folder... but I can't access any of the user mailboxes this way on Exchange 2000.

>Administrator has stil the rights to take ownership. So even if there are restrictions and just some groups have access, the administrator anytime can use take ownership

>What is your domain model? ANyway, you have to add the domain administrator account to the local administrators group to have local admin rights

The domain is in the format mycompany.local. I'm pretty sure I've set up the Admin account OK, what's weird is that sometimes I can access the client PC's through the network and sometimes the same PC's say access denied. Sometimes the contents of the Printers folder disappears as well - could that be related?

Regards

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back